Afleet Express, the horse who couldn't get sold, scored a dramatic win in the Travers.
On-track attendance at Saratoga has declined 5.3% and on-track wagering is down 6% for the first 30 days of the current meet, when compared with the comparable 30 days a year ago.
Through the first 30 days of the 37-day Del Mar meet, attendance continues to outpace 2009 by 2.3% while wagering is down an average 6.9%.
Fifth Third Bank has won a $15.4 million judgment against Audrey and Marc Haisfield for defaulting on loans received from the bank on behalf of their Stonewall Farm operation.
Phipps Stable's Persistently appeared well the morning after her one-length upset victory over reigning Horse of the Year Rachel Alexandra in Aug. 29, grade I, $300,000 Personal Ensign Invitational.
Trainer Nick Zito reported Aug. 30 that Miner's Reserve sustained a hairline fracture in his right knee in the Travers Stakes (gr. I) and the Mineshaft colt will be sidelined for several months.
Blind Luck, whose nickname was Clover, survived a scare caused by a Great Pyrenees before going through the sale ring and becoming a famous racehorse. Read Blog
The four-day all-turf meet at Kentucky Downs will be highlighted by three stakes on the Kentucky Cup Turf Festival opening-day card.
- By Vic Zast
The fans' appetite for a confrontation between horse racing's stars wasn't served, but it has probably subsided. Read Blog
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Classic Empire a Pro in Four-Furlong Move
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Churchill Considers Historic Gaming Machines
- Unbridled Unleashed
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Strong Gains at OBS Session Led by Record Tiznow Colt
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby