John Bucalo, a jockey, trainer, and jockeys' agent who worked in the horse industry for 55 years, died June 19 after a lengthy illness. He was 93.
Jockey Emerson Chavez was taken to Methodist Dallas Medical Center for further examination as a precaution after he sustained a head injury in the gate as the horses were loading for the eighth race at Lone Star Park.
Closing furiously into a hot pace, 13-1 shot Leroy's Dynameaux overtook Macias in deep stretch and held off favored Bogie at the wire to win the $100,000 Will Rogers Stakes (gr. IIIT) on the Hollywood Park turf June 20.
Friend Or Foe wore down pacesetter General Maximus and drew clear to win the $100,000 Mike Lee Stakes for New York-breds at Belmont Park on June 20.
Even-money choice Flamin' Hot was elevated to first following the disqualification of Escrow Kid in the $96,000 Anderson Fowler Stakes before a Father's Day crowd of 24,262 at Monmouth Park June 20.
Odds-on choice Tasty Temptation delivered her fourth consecutive victory when she collared pacesetter La Rocca in deep stretch to win the $115,338 Hill 'N' Dale Stakes at Woodbine June 20.
It was a busy Father's Day morning for trainer Todd Pletcher at Belmont Park, highlighted by half-mile breezes from stable stars Quality Road and Super Saver June 20.
Blood-Horse Publications magazines and web sites were honored June 19 with 13 awards during the American Horse Publications' annual seminar.
Comedero broke on the lead and was never challenged in winning the $400,000 Red Legend Stakes as the 1-5 favorite at Charles Town Races & Slots on the night of June 19.
First Samurai, a leading 2-year-old of 2005, sired his first winner when his son Hornblower posted a 1 1/4-length triumph at Hastings Racecourse June 19,
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Catch a Glimpse in Good Order After Nassau Scare
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Werther Goes the Distance in Hong Kong
- Rubilinda Impresses as Frankel’s First US Winner
- Starship Jubilee Much the Best in Nassau Stakes
- Tapwrit Works Toward Belmont; True Timber Confirmed
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Churchill Completes Rare Guineas Double