Irvin Naylor's Tax Ruling challenged front-running Slip Away before the next to last fence of the $150,000 Calvin Houghland Iroquois Steeplechase (NSA-I) May 8, took the lead before the last, and drew clear to win.
Trainer says Super Saver has "a big chance" to win the Preakness (gr.I).
Game On Dude reeled in pacesetter Henshin Hero near the quarter pole and took charge in the lane to register his first stakes victory in the $200,000 Lone Star Derby (gr. III) May 8 at Grand Prairie, Texas.
Heavy favorite Rail Trip returned from a long layoff in the Mervyn Leroy Handicap (gr. II) May 8 looking strong as ever while posting a decisive 3 1/4-length victory at Hollywood Park.
Baffert says Lookin At Lucky "52%" likely to run in the Preakness (gr. I).
Nick Zito found another major contender for next month's Belmont Stakes (gr. I), as Richard Pell's Fly Down demolished six 3-year-old rivals in the $200,000 Dwyer Stakes (gr. II) May 8 at Belmont Park.
Sudden illness halted the career of the stallion, who has sired Run for the Roses winners Super Saver and Monarchos.
Caracortado punched his ticket to next weekend's Preakness Stakes (gr. I) with a seven-furlong work at Santa Anita May 8 with regular rider Paul Atkinson aboard. The son of Cat Dreams stopped the clock in 1:24 3/5.
The Illinois General Assembly abruptly adjourned May 7 without acting on a proposal to allow slot machines at the state's race tracks.
The catalog for the Barretts May sale of 2-year-olds is leaner than in 2009, with 166 head, including 12 supplemental entries, but nevertheless will offer variety in pedigree, consignor, and price range at the May 10 auction.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- A Few Early Thoughts on the Kentucky Derby Pace
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill