When trainer Doug O'Neill's charges head to the racetrack during training hours at Hollywood Park, Lava Man, who won three Hollywood Gold Cups (gr. I) during a long racing career, often accompanies them.
Gio Ponti worked five furlongs over Belmont Park's inner turf course May 30 in preparation for an expected start in the $400,000 Woodford Reserve Manhattan Handicap (gr. IT) on the Belmont
Grand Adventure, kept out of traffic on the outside by jockey Patrick Husbands, swept past his rivals in the homestretch to win the $151,066 Connaught Cup (Can-IIIT) going away at Woodbine May 30.
Two to Waltz, dam of millionaire and graded stakes winner Two Step Salsa, was euthanized May 29 after a sudden illness.
Hall of Fame trainer Nick Zito put the finishing touches on the second of his two Belmont Stakes (gr. I) candidates May 30, sending Dwyer Stakes (gr. II) winner Fly Down out for a bullet half-mile work.
Eishin Flash stormed from mid-pack to upset the field in the $3.5 million Tokyo Yushun (Jpn-I), or Japanese Derby, before a crowd of 125,746 at Tokyo Racecourse May 30.
Seattle Smooth, a grade I winner for Ernie Moody's Mercedes Stables, has been retired from racing because of ankle problems.
Suave, a millionaire son of A.P. Indy, came through with his first winner when his 2-year-old son B G Suavecito won at Lone Star Park in his initial start.
The group I-winning daughter of Redoute's Choice brings Aust$1,025,000 ($868,103 in U.S. funds).
Horses with a more severe exercise-induced pulmonary hemorrhage (EIPH) show increased amounts of certain immunoregulatory proteins, called cytokines, when they race at sea level rather than higher altitudes, researchers on a South African study concluded.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Making the Grade: Exaggerator's Belmont Shot
- Woodward, Hancock to Racing Hall of Fame
- Nine Honored at Walk of Champions Gala
- Court Order Has Preciado Racing Again at Parx
- Centeno Recovering in Florida After Spill
- Uncle Mo Filly Brings $1 Million at F-T Sale