Ailalea, clearly best in Aqueduct's Tempted Stakes (gr. III) Nov. 7 in the final start of her juvenile campaign, is the lukewarm 3-1 morning line choice for the $300,000 Fair Grounds Oaks (gr. II) March 26.
The ultra-consistent mare Tuscan Evening had no problem handling a little extra distance in the Santa Ana Handicap (gr. IIT), leading all the way for her ninth win in 13 Southern California races March 21 at Santa Anita.
Jockey Alan Garcia earned the 1,000th win of his career when he drove odds-on choice Saint Eligius to victory by three-quarters of a length in the second race at Gulfstream Park March 20, according to Equibase.
Martin Racing Stable and Dan Morgan's Jody Slew is now considered "unlikely" to compete in the March 26 Fair Grounds Oaks (gr. II).
Ice Box, the less fancied of two runners trained by Nick Zito for owner Robert LaPenta, jumped into the Kentucky Derby conversation after his nose victory in the Florida Derby. View Profile
The horses for Aqueduct's first race March 21 did not arrive at the security barn by 8:00 a.m., the designated deadline, and as a result the first race has been canceled.
Management at Gulfstream Park canceled the first and sixth races March 22 due to a temporary quarantine of horses stabled at Calder Race Course.
The first reported foal by grade I winner Buzzards Bay is a filly born March 11 at Timber Ridge Farm near Felton, Pa.
With their large, exposed eyes, horses are at risk for diseases of the cornea, the clear outer layer of the eye, said Elizabeth A. Giuliano, DVM, MS, Dipl. ACVO, associate professor of veterinary medicine and surgery at the University of Missouri, at the 2010 Western Veterinary Conference, held Feb. 14-18 in Las Vegas, Nev.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 28, 2017
- Tapit Colt Tops Barretts Hips to Watch
- Tepin Refuses to Work March 27 at Palm Meadows
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Belinda Stronach Keynote Speaker at Pan Am Conference
- NYRA Privatization Stalls During NY Budget Wrangling
- Breeders' Cup, NTRA Launch New Contest Website
- Sunny Ridge Named New Jersey's 2016 Horse of the Year
- Skychai Racing Purchases Interest in Fast and Accurate
- Two Juveniles Post Fastest Times at Barretts