No jockeys were seriously injured in a three-horse spill at Fair Grounds Dec. 3.
The South Florida track's second Quarter Horse began Dec. 3 without much fanfare.
The undefeated son of Lion Heart will stand at Vinery Florida for $5,000.
Tampa Bay Downs will kick off its 91-day meet Dec. 11, with the Tampa Bay Derby highlighting the Oldsmar, Fla. racetrack's 85th season. Twenty-five stakes will be run for an approximate total of $2.5 million in purses.
The New York City Off-Track Betting Corp., facing a shutdown later in the day, was given a four-day reprieve Dec. 3 when the state Senate is due back to consider passage of a bankruptcy reorganization plan
Jason Shandler looks at the likely 2010 Eclipse Award winners. Read Blog
Photographer Anne M. Eberhardt catches up with some of the new players in the Thoroughbred breeding scene. She also gets a close up look at a fox hunt in Kentucky. Read Blog
William O'Neill, owner of Circle O Farm near Paris, Ky., and before that manager of Millard Waldheim's Bwanazon Farm in Central Kentucky, died Dec. 2 at his home.
Maryland racing may seem like a comedy of errors, but it's no laughing matter. Read Blog
- By Steve Haskin
Yes, there is room for one final Zenyatta column. Farewells have a way of inspiring them. Read Blog
The best way to train a horse is to use techniques that "align with the horse's view of the world," according to Paul McGreevy, BVSc, MRCVS, PhD, MACVSc, associate professor of veterinary science at the University of Sydney in Camden, New South Wales, Australia, who recently published a paper on the topic.
Horse owners whose animals were affected by a contagious equine metritis (CEM) outbreak during the 2009 breeding season might have the option of filing a lawsuit for damages against the USDA's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS). Agencies of the federal government generally are immune to lawsuits under the principle of sovereign immunit...
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- Kentucky Derby Starters Reunite in Ohio Derby
- Big Orange Gets Best of Order of St George in Gold Cup
- Jockey Club Gold Cup Purse Lowered, Cigar Mile Hiked
- Battle of Midway Using Affirmed as Prep for Haskell
- It's Over: Parties Reach Agreement in Life At Ten Case
- International Sire Elusive Quality Pensioned
- Lady Aurelia Overpowers Males in King's Stand
- Milestone Victory for Goodwin Comes at Canterbury Park
- Highland Reel Refuses to Yield at Royal Ascot