A winner of six of 10 starts in 2009, Tuscan Evening got her new year off to a great start when she captured the $100,000 Monrovia Handicap (gr. IIIT) as the favorite on the turf Jan. 3 at Santa Anita.
In his first race since his famous starting gate tantrum prior to the Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I), Quality Road was much the best in the $100,000 Hal's Hope Stakes (gr. III), winning by 2 3/4 lengths at Gulfstream Park.
Gulfstream Park stewards declared the third race on opening day Jan. 3 a "no contest" due to a mechanical problem with the starting gate.
Jockey Martin Garcia has won with five of 29 mounts in the first day of the Santa Anita meet, all of the victories coming on horses trained by Bob Baffert.
Buddy's Saint, open-length winner of the Nashua Stakes (gr. II) and Remsen Stakes (gr. II) at Aqueduct in November, is being pointed toward the $250,000 Fasig-Tipton Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. II) at Gulfstream Park.
Citing frigid temperatures and high winds, the New York Racing Association cancelled live racing at Aqueduct for Sunday, Jan. 3.
Thoroughbred Placement and Rescue (TPR), a 501(c)(3) located in Upper Marlboro, Md., specializes in retraining and placing horses directly off of the racetrack to pleasure and show homes. In the past year, even with the downturn in the economy, TPR (as their fans fondly call them) still found homes for 123 horses. While this does not quite match their hig...
Surgery to correct "roaring" in National Hunt Thoroughbred racehorses can restore racing performance to levels similar to a matched group of peers in the short term, but career longevity appears to be negatively impacted following these procedures, report a team of UK researchers led by Safia Barakzai, BVSc, MSc, DESTS, Dipl ECVS, from the Royal...
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Consignors Bullish on Fasig-Tipton Gulfstream Sale
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Laurel Park to Introduce Fans to Ownership Experience
- Epicharis Earns Japan's Kentucky Derby Bid
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Mo Town Set for 3-Year-Old Debut in Risen Star
- Gold Dream Punches Ticket to BC Classic
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf