The son of Elusive Quality broke a 30-year-old track record for six and half furlongs at Saratoga in his first start since winning the Florida Derby (gr. I) back in March. The former record of 1:14 2/5 was set by Topsider on Aug. 1, 1979.
Fast Play, a son of Seattle Slew and a half-brother to major sire Seeking the Gold, and Service Stripe, have been purchased by Rusty Roberts and Dr. Robert Zoellner for stallion duty in 2010 at the latter's Rockin Z Ranch near Beggs, Okla.
Henry Pabst, who raced several graded stakes winners, died Aug. 2 at his St. Paul, Minn., home.
This year's Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) will be linked with a California Lottery promotion, officials announced Aug. 3.
The governor of West Virginia, on hand for the Aug. 1 West Virginia Derby (gr. II) at Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort, said gaming at tracks was built around racing, and the sport won't be allowed to suffer in exchange for company profits.
The first five days of the Saratoga meet showed strength from a business and racing standpoint, with gains in on-track attendance and pari-mutuel, and total handle.
Frank Stronach's Adena Springs announced Aug. 3 that its roster of stallions will cover mares in the Northern Hemisphere on Southern Hemisphere time at both Adena Springs near Paris, Ky., and at Adena Springs South near Williston, Fla.
The Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association announced Aug. 3 that NetJets will be the presenting sponsor of the 2009 TOBA National Awards Dinner to be held Sept. 11 at Spendthrift Farm near Lexington.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Wraps up Serious Derby Preparations
- Mohaymen Sitting on Go for Kentucky Derby
- Busy Work Tab at Churchill for Derby Horses
- Olorda Front-Running Winner of Bewitch
- Outwork, Destin Turn in Final Derby Breezes
- Maiden Trojan Nation Seeks Derby Upset
- Lady Shipman Returns to U.S. In License Fee
- Keeneland Ends With Handle, Attendance Gains
- Le Havre colt a Guineas sale pinhook coup
- First Winner for Empire Way