Craig Roberts, who trained Hollywood Gold Cup (gr. I) winner Slew of Damascus, has died at age 78.
- By Tom Precious
A New York government panel studying whether to alter the current structure of the state's off-track betting system has asked the OTBs to hold off on signing any long-term deals, a move that suggests the panel could have sweeping changes in mind.
One day after combining to win the BlackBerry Preakness Stakes (gr. I), trainer Steve Asmussen and jockey Calvin Borel were enthusiastic in their praise of the Rachel Alexandra.
There will be no Triple Crown winner in 2009, but there is a possibility of a showdown in the June 6 Belmont Stakes (gr. I) between the winners of the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) and Blackberry Preakness Stakes (gr. I).
Even in the midst of an economic crisis, there is hope for a solid performance from the Fasig-Tipton Midlantic sale of 2-year-olds in training, which is scheduled for May 18 and 19 in Timonium, Md. The bulk of the auction's catalog consists of reasonably-priced, blue-collar stock, and some of the other regional sales, which offered juveniles of the same type, generated results that were better than expected earlier this year.
Rachel Alexandra's star turn in the Blackberry Preakness Stakes (gr. I) drove TV ratings of the race to their highest overnight ratings in five years.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- Under Agreement, Trainer Umarov Suspended Five Years
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - February 21, 2017
- Classic Empire, McCraken Individual Favorites in Pool 3
- One Liner Laughs Last in Southwest Stakes Victory
- Gun Runner Rolls to Razorback Handicap Victory
- Guest Suite Fires Bullet in Preparation for Risen Star
- Kentucky Rescinds Dextrophan Positives