Craig Roberts, who trained Hollywood Gold Cup (gr. I) winner Slew of Damascus, has died at age 78.
- By Tom Precious
A New York government panel studying whether to alter the current structure of the state's off-track betting system has asked the OTBs to hold off on signing any long-term deals, a move that suggests the panel could have sweeping changes in mind.
One day after combining to win the BlackBerry Preakness Stakes (gr. I), trainer Steve Asmussen and jockey Calvin Borel were enthusiastic in their praise of the Rachel Alexandra.
There will be no Triple Crown winner in 2009, but there is a possibility of a showdown in the June 6 Belmont Stakes (gr. I) between the winners of the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) and Blackberry Preakness Stakes (gr. I).
Even in the midst of an economic crisis, there is hope for a solid performance from the Fasig-Tipton Midlantic sale of 2-year-olds in training, which is scheduled for May 18 and 19 in Timonium, Md. The bulk of the auction's catalog consists of reasonably-priced, blue-collar stock, and some of the other regional sales, which offered juveniles of the same type, generated results that were better than expected earlier this year.
Rachel Alexandra's star turn in the Blackberry Preakness Stakes (gr. I) drove TV ratings of the race to their highest overnight ratings in five years.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Thunder Snow Confirmed for Kentucky Derby
- Fast Work Provides Relief for Girvin's Connections
- Trust in Tammy: Fox Taught J Boys Echo His Lessons Well
- Gormley Puts in Unconventional Final Derby Work
- War Correspondent Responds in Miami Mile
- Farhaan Makes the Grade in Thunder Road
- McErin, Five Fillies Take on Kentucky Juvenile Stakes
- Official Veterinary Team From China Visits Kentucky