Old Fashioned sustained a non-displaced slab fracture of his right knee during his second-place effort in the $1 million Arkansas Derby (gr. II) at Oaklawn Park April 11 and will miss the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I).
Course specialist Gotta Have Her got up in the final stride by a nose over Reba Is Tops to win the $100,000 Las Cienegas Handicap (gr. IIIT), the Easter Day feature on the Santa Anita hillside April 12.
Chocolate Candy, runner-up in the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I), worked five furlongs under new rider Mike Smith on Pro-Ride in :59 1/5 April 12. The son of Candy Ride is scheduled to leave April 14 for Louisville to prepare for the 135th Kentucky Derby.
Elvis Trujillo earned the 1,000th win of his career when he guided Bahia Girl to victory in the first race April 12 at Gulfstream Park.
Heavy favorite Buena Vista collared second choice Red Desire with 100 meters to run and went on to capture the US$2.1 million Oka Sho (Japanese One Thousand Guineas) by a half-length for the second grade I victory of her career April 12 at Hanshin Racecourse.
Grade II winner Bwana Charlie sired his first winner from his initial starter when his daughter Malawi won April 10 at Keeneland.
Stakes winner Special Rate sired his first winner from his initial starter when his son Valid Heart won April 11 at Manor Downs.
Champion turf runner Forever Together started her 5-year-old campaign with a stylish late-running win in the $200,000 Jenny Wiley Stake (gr. IIT) on the Keeneland turf course April 11.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- Centeno Recovering in Florida After Spill
- Making the Grade: Exaggerator's Belmont Shot
- Woodward, Hancock to Racing Hall of Fame
- Court Order Has Preciado Racing Again at Parx
- Nine Honored at Walk of Champions Gala