Triple Crown Talk blog, with host Jason Shandler, reviews Old Fashioned's performance in the Southwest and offers a new top 10 Derby Watchlist.
Sarissa, a 12-year-old Diesis - Wonderous Minstrel mare, brought the top price of 32,000 euros (approximately $40,489 in U.S. funds) during the Arqana February mixed sale at Deauville in France. French agent Abeth Mussat purchased her from Haras d'Etreham. Sarissa, who is in foal to Dylan Thomas, has produced two winners in Japan, Rock of Sarissa (by Rock of Gibraltar) and Loulan Reverse (by Montjeu).
Grade-I winner Zaftig has joined the broodmare band of Hill 'n' Dale, the Lexington-area farm announced Feb. 17.
El Campo, a Deputy Minister grandson, has been retired from racing for stallion duty at Dr. William C. Day's Cedar Creek Farm near Brenham, Texas.
One of Calder Race Course's miniature horse mascots, Lightning, will make her third annual appearance at the "Purina Walk for the Animals" Feb. 21 from 9 a.m. to noon in downtown Miami's Bayfront Park.
Hat Trick, who stands at John T.L. Jones III's Walmac Farm near Lexington, will shuttle to Argentina for the 2009 Southern Hemisphere breeding season.
With the $1 million Haskell Invitational (gr. I) on Aug. 2, leading the way, Monmouth Park will offer $4.7 million in stakes purses this year. Bolstered by an agreement signed with horsemen in 2008, Monmouth Park will see a $500,000 increase in stakes purses, or roughly 12%.
New Farm's homebred Wild Gams, a two-time stakes winner last year, has been named 2008 New Jersey-bred Horse of the Year. Wild Gams also garnered honors as champion handicap female.
A Penn National Gaming Inc. official said the company doesn't plan to ask voters this year to approve table games at Charles Town Races & Slots in West Virginia.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- A Closer Look at Smarty Jones Winner Uncontested
- Strong Racing Stable Has Oxley Looking Forward
- Cuomo Proposes Returning NYRA to Private Control
- Stronach Still Seeking New Heights for Racing
- Bayern's First Foal, a Filly, Arrives in Ontario
- Cautious Giant Brings Top Price at Barretts Mixed Sale
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- Jockey Olguin Secures Milestone Win