Quindici Man outfought favored Red Lead down the stretch to win the $150,000 Zia Park Derby Dec. 5 on a sloppy track at Hobbs, N.M.
Trainer John Shirreffs left Life Is Sweet in the barn and won the $150,000 Bayakoa Handicap (gr. II) anyway when outsider Zardana swept by pacesetter Briecat past the eighth pole en route to a 1 1/4-length victory Dec. 5 at Hollywood Park.
- By Tom LaMarra
Positive trends in the public perception of horse racing reinforce the need for the industry to work even harder, horsemen were told Dec. 5.
Bear's Hard Ten split rivals while taking over at the quarter pole and never looked back, romping to a 3 3/4-length score in the $155,300 Display Stakes for 2-year-olds Dec. 5 at Woodbine.
Summer Bird, winner of the Belmont Stakes (gr. I), Travers (gr. I), and Jockey Club Gold Cup (gr. I), underwent successful surgery to repair a nondisplaced fracture of his right fore cannon bone Dec. 5 and is expected to return to racing next year.
A Dec. 5 fire ripped through a barn at a county fairgrounds in southwest Ohio, killing two people and about 60 horses.
Results of testing for Equine Herpes Virus (EHV-1) on a horse in one of the quarantined barns at Calder Race Course came back negative the morning of Dec. 5, allowing for the quarantine on that barn to be lifted, thus unrestricting the activity of all the horses in that barn, including racing.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Girvin, Farrell Exit Fair Grounds Wins Well
- Fasig-Tipton Gulfstream Sale Poised for Strength
- John Moore Sweeps Hong Kong G1s
- Under Tack Show Can Make or Break Sale
- Dortmund Could Return in Triple Bend
- El Areeb Sharp in Five-Furlong Workout
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Irish War Cry Ticks All the Boxes in Five-Furlong Work
- Farrell Vaults to Top of Kentucky Oaks Leaderboard