Century Park, the least regarded of three fillies entered by trainer Bob Baffert in the $100,000 Santa Ysabel Stakes (gr. III) at odds of 24-1, made every pole a winning one thanks to a crafty ride by returning jockey Tyler Baze at Santa Anita Jan 11.
Chocolate Candy, who ran third in the CashCall Futurity (gr. I) at Hollywood Park last month, is among the horses already confirmed for the $100,000 California Derby at Golden Gate Fields Jan. 17.
Waquoit's Love, never out of the money in six starts on the Gulfstream Park turf, finally broke through with her first stakes win Jan. 11 when she scored a neck victory in the $100,000 Marshua's River Stakes.
Azeri and Island Fashion will be in the spotlight as the Keeneland January horses of all ages sale starts its six-day run in Lexington Jan. 12. Azeri was the 2002 Horse of the Year while Island Fashion was a grade I winner.
CashCall Futurity (gr. I) winner Pioneerof the Nile remains on target for his 3-year-old debut on Feb. 7 after turning in a bullet five-furlong drill of :57 3/5 over Santa Anita's Pro-Ride track Jan. 11.
William C. MacMillen Jr., a member of The Jockey Club, died Jan. 8.
The Thoroughbred marketplace ended 2008 with dramatic declines, and all signs point to more tough times ahead as Keeneland gets ready to open its 2009 selling season with its January horses of all ages auction in Lexington.
The average price rose 17.9% from a year ago while the gross revenue remained about the same during the fifth session of the Conrad Jupiters Magic Millions yearling sale Jan. 11 on Australia's Gold Cost.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Midnight Storm Seeks Grade 1 Dirt Win in Gold Cup
- Lady Eli Brings Her Class to Gamely
- CHRB Discusses Creating Single California Circuit
- Asmussen Earns $50,000 Preakness Weekend Bonus
- The Greatest Performance No One Has Seen
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement
- Enola Gray, Illuminant Look Strong in Monrovia Field
- Freshman Flashpoint Gets His First Winner
- Maker a Triple Threat in AP Classic