Monzante took the overland route in coming from last to catch favored Whatsthescript in the final strides, winning the $400,000 Eddie Read Handicap (gr. IT) in eye-catching style by a half-length on the Del Mar turf course July 20.
Bear Stables and trainer Reade Baker completed a sweep of Woodbine's stakes races July 20 when Fatal Bullet captured the $150,836 Bold Venture in track-record time over the Polytrack racing surface.
- By Tom Precious
The three bidders vying for lucrative rights to develop a casino at Aqueduct racetrack in New York have all passed a critical background check by the state, Governor David Paterson said July 20.
Veteran Southern California trainer Juan Garcia, once known as the "King of Caliente," is officially retiring July 21 and turning over his stable to his son, Victor.
Bear Now eclipsed $1 million in career earnings with a front-running victory as the odds-on choice in the $154,614 Ontario Matron Stakes at Woodbine July 20.
Nine days after having his first 2-year-old winner in Puerto Rico, Smarty Jones registered his first winner in the United States when Zayat Stables' Keefer broke his maiden in his first start at Monmouth Park July 20.
Jockey Bryan McNeil was released from Methodist Dallas Medical Center July 20 after he suffered a broken left arm in a fall during the 11th race at Lone Star Park the preceding day, according to his agent.
Racing at Belmont Park was canceled July 20, which would have been the final day of the spring/summer meet.
Graded stakes winner Popular came through with his first winner when a daughter, Fashionita, won July 18 at Solano.
Southern California based trainer Carla Gaines has forged a successful career, training the likes of Nashoba's Key, with dedication and a love for the game.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Hill 'n' Dale Acquires Half Interest in Bubbler
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- Ward Pleased With Stable's Royal Ascot Performance
- Date Set for 2017 Maryland Million Day
- F-T Saratoga Offering 12 From Scat Daddy's Last Crop
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- 'Free Fridays' at National Museum of Racing
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- Quality Over Quantity in Fasig-Tipton Saratoga Catalog
- Street Surrender, Roman Secure First Stakes Win