Trainers Bob Baffert, Wayne Lukas, and Nick Zito will be involved in a new buying, racing, and selling venture.
Following a June 9 meeting, officials of the Florida Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association and Churchill Downs Inc. plan to meet again June 10 in an effort to resolve a costly contracts dispute at CDI-owned Calder Race Course.
John A. Nerud's grade I winner Clabber Girl was euthanized June 7 due to the infirmities of old age at Sugar Maple Farm near Poughquag, N.Y.
An important group of horse racing books from the library of Sir Roderick William Cameron, founding member of the American Jockey Club at Jerome Park in 1866 and owner of Clifton Berley Stud in New York, will be auctioned at Christie's in New York June 12.
Kieren Fallon, the six-time leading jockey in Great Britain who is currently banned from riding because of a failed drug test, revealed in an interview that he wants ride in North America every winter, and maybe more.
Casino Drive's quest to become the third straight Belmont Stakes (gr. I) winner produced by his dam Better Than Honour failed when the colt suffered a stone bruise two days before the race. But this isn't the last we'll see of the son of Mineshaft, who will now point for the Breeders' Cup Classic(gr. I), with a prep beforehand.
Colonial Downs in Virginia is prepared for a rather hot start to its 2008 meet, which gets under way the evening of June 9.
- By Claire Novak
In the back of the courtyard at the Lane's End stallion barn, a new equine figure has been given permanent residence. It is a life-sized bronze of the farm's greatest stallion, A.P. Indy, commissioned by co-breeder William S. Farish.
Silver Hawk, the sire of 76 stakes winners who was pensioned in the fall of 2003, was euthanized June 5 due to the infirmities of old age. He was 29.
Candy Ride, an unbeaten grade I winner and Argentine champion, came through with his first winner when his son El Brujo won June 8 at Woodbine.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Terra Promessa Goes Gate to Wire in Bayakoa
- Curlin's Approval Stretches Out Handily in Royal Delta
- Wild At Heart Makes Short Work of Buena Vista
- High Ridge Road Closes to Win Barbara Fritchie
- Miss Temple City, Lady Eli Put in First Works of 2017
- Imperial Hint Makes the Grade in General George
- Gunnevera, Three Rules Work toward Fountain of Youth