Big Brown's failed quest for a coveted Triple Crown drew in the television viewers. The Belmont Stakes (gr. I) broadcast on ABC from 6:15-7:15 p.m. EDT delivered a 10.5 overnight metered market rating, up 169% from last year's race (3.9).
Lethal Heat gained the lead in the final sixteenth of a mile and scored a head victory over Smooth Performer in a three-horse blanket finish to the $157,600 Hollywood Breeders' Cup Oaks (gr. II) on the Hollywood Park Cushion Track June 8.
With a tremendous charge over the final quarter of a mile, the Aga Khan's undefeated Zarkava registered a three-length win in the Prix de Diane (Fr-I) at Chantilly June 9.
Vodka, winner of the 2007 Japanese Derby, ended a year-long win drought with a stunning 3 1/2-length win in the Yasuda Kinen (Jpn-I), the final leg of Asian Mile Challenge June 8 at Tokyo Racecourse.
Odds-on favorite Ginger Brew turned in a scintillating performance at Woodbine June 8, splitting horses at the eighth-pole and then streaking away for a commanding six-length victory in the $502,800 Woodbine Oaks, first leg of the Canadian Triple Tiara.
One day after Big Brown was eased in his attempt to win the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) and the Triple Crown as the 3-10 favorite, one of his co-owners said there is nothing physically wrong with the Boundary colt.
The eight other runners from the June 7 Belmont Stakes (gr. I) were resting well, their trainers looking on to future goals for the summer, as the Triple Crown season concluded June 7.
Slightly more than 12 hours after saddling Da' Tara to an upset victory in the Belmont Stakes (gr. I), trainer Nick Zito was back at his barn at Belmont Park the morning of June 8 to oversee his stable.
Grade I winner Pleasantly Perfect was represented by his first winner when a daughter, Quite the Lady, won June 7 at Arlington Park in her first start.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Mind Your Biscuits Aims to Give Summers First Win
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Ashleyluvssugar, Texas Ryano Reunite in San Luis Rey
- Hope Floats for Hoppertunity in Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- Look Back: Summer Squall Answers Questions in Jim Beam
- Conquest Mo Money Carries Local Hopes in Sunland Derby
- Highland Reel Among World Cup Day Turf Runners
- Classic Empire Back to Work in Ocala
- Gun Runner Brings Consistent Class to World Cup Stage