Maryjean Wall retired in June after 35 years as racing writer for the Lexington Herald-Leader. Wall's interest in turf journalism evolved from her love of Thoroughbred racing, earning her three Eclipse Awards.
Grade I winner Heatseeker, who was scratched from the June 28 Hollywood Gold Cup (gr. I), has been retired from racing due to a soft tissue injury.
Maryland-bred Declan's Moon, the 2004 Eclipse Award-winning champion juvenile colt and early favorite for the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) before an injury, has been retired from racing.
Dr. George Maylin, the director of the New York State Racing and Wagering Board drug testing and research program at Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y., said the post-race test results on Belmont Stakes (gr. I) favorite Big Brown came back "clean" for any illegal medications.
The Breeders' Cup announced June 30 that it has reached an agreement for Horse Racing Radio Network to become the exclusive national radio network for the 2008 Breeders' Cup World Championships.
The out-of-competition tests for EPO ordered by the New Jersey Racing Commission on 41 of trainer Bruce Levine's horse at Monmouth Park came back negative.
Following a record 1,504 scheduled racing fixtures in Britain this year, the number for 2009 is set to fall to 1,477.
Racing's photo-finish camera was invented for and first used at Del Mar -- and as Thoroughbred fans know, there are photo finishes virtually every day at the track, some of them so tight the phrase "won by a whisker" is literally true.
Grade I winner The Cliff's Edge was represented by his first winner when his son Efficient Edge scored June 29 at Churchill Downs.
Stakes winner Hi Teck Man's first winner, Lady Hi Teck, won June 29 at Lone Star Park in her initial start.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends
- Derby, Oaks Notes, from Churchill Downs, April 25
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- What's Going On Here: Most Charming
- Three Chimneys Strikes Early for Orb Colt at $685,000
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Orb Colt Grew Up, Brought $685,000 at OBS