The board of directors of the Virginia Thoroughbred Association passed a resolution advocating the review and possible changes regarding jockeys' whips at the upcoming Colonial Downs meet, it was announced June 3.
You know how it is with breeders. They breed one Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) winner, and the next thing you know, they're trying to come up with another.
Big Brown brought smiles to the faces of his connections June 3 after a crucial five-furlong breeze in 1:00 on Belmont Park's main track shortly before 9 a.m. EDT.
Keeneland will offer a record $5.4 million in stakes purses, one of the richest stakes programs in North America, for its 2008 fall race meeting to be held Oct. 3-25, the Lexington oval announced June 3.
Eight Belles, who finished second in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) but suffered a catastrophic injury moments after the race, will be honored by Churchill Downs Inc. through a series of charitable contributions and initiatives, including the interment of her remains at the Kentucky Derby Museum.
With the clock ticking on the closure of the New York City Off-Track Betting Corp., officials from the Bloomberg administration are stepping up their calls for industry stakeholders to compromise on a bill or face the loss of more than $100 million in OTB distributions.
The Colonial Downs signal will be barred to at least three wagering outlets for its upcoming live meet. The Virginia racetrack joins the list of tracks whose betting options have been curtailed by disputes with horsemen's groups over revenue sharing.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Veteran Kentucky-Based Hot Walker Roche Dies at 91
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Fair Grounds in the Spotlight
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Baffert Talks 2017 Triple Crown
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Elliott Honored with George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award
- Oscar Performance Targeting Keeneland for Season Debut
- Guest Suite Taking Farish, Howard on Classic Ride
- Three Rules Fires Florida Bullet