The Florida Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association's general counsel said June 10 his organization could sign agreements "in the very near future" on 2008 purses and future slot-machine revenue at Calder Race Course.
Nick Zito, New York's favorite son, shuts the door on another Triple Crown bid, this time beating Big Brown with Da' Tara.
Hampered by a double-digit handle decline on its biggest race card, the May 17 Preakness Stakes (gr. I), Pimlico Race Course realized a 16.5% drop in all-sources wagering for its 31-day meet that closed June 7.
Big Brown's downfall in the Belmont came in his training regimen.
Little Sister, a stakes winner/producer for brothers Robert and Leland Ackerley, died May 7 from a stomach rupture.
Trainer Steve Asmussen was none too pleased with the 128-pound impost assigned to 2007 Horse of the Year Curlin for his expected bid in the June 14 Stephen Foster Handicap (gr. I) at Churchill Downs. Still, after a half-mile breeze in :49 seconds by the Dubai World Cup (UAE-I) winner June 9, Asmussen indicated the horse would start in the 1 1/8-mile event.
Grade I winner Divine Park will enter stud at Brereton C. Jones' Airdrie Stud near Midway, Ky., following the conclusion of his racing career.
The temporary "Indiana Live!" slot-machine casino at Indiana Downs opened to the public June 9, ushering in a richer future for the state's horsemen. But purses won't be going up any time soon.
United Parcel Service's sponsorship of Big Brown's bid for the Triple Crown produced more than $6 million in overall exposure value, according to the Michigan-based sponsorship research company Joyce Julius & Associates.
Churchill Downs will begin testing a new wagering format with on-track customers June 11 that allows patrons to bundle win, exacta, and trifecta plays at a lower price per bet.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Capps' Death is Big Loss to Louisville Equine Program
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Nichols Canyon Connections Pointing for Iroquois Bonus
- Spending Time With New Trainer Kent Sweezey
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Goldikova, Espinoza Among Hall of Fame Inductees
- Reach the World Euthanized After Training Injury