Claiming king Mike Mitchell performed his magic once again at Santa Anita March 1, winning the $300,000 Frank E. Kilroe Mile Handicap (gr. IT) with Ever a Friend.
Heatseeker gave Northern California kingpin Jerry Hollendorfer a win with the conditioner's first starter in the $1 million Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I) in a mild surprise March 1.
Odds-on choice El Gato Malo fell from the ranks of the unbeaten when Colonel John held the closer off in the final furlong to win the $200,000 Sham Stakes (gr. III) at Santa Anita March 1.
Absolutely Cindy, the lone filly in a field of 11, made a jaw-dropping seven-wide move coming out of the final turn and caught Your Round inside the sixteenth-pole to score an impressive victory in the $100,000 John Battaglia Memorial Stakes March 1 at Turfway Park.
The Alfred Z. Solomon Charitable Trust has given the New York-based Backstretch Employee Service Team (B.E.S.T) a $40,000 grant that will make it possible for backstretch workers to have on-site dental services at Saratoga Race Course in 2008, it was announced March 1.
You could take nothing away from the top three finishers in the $350,000 Gulfstream Park Handicap, but Turtle Bird Stable's Sir Whimsey got the job done and drew away in the final furlongs to win by a half-length.
Tim Tullock trained Gattopardo took another step towards the Preakness by winning at Laurel Park March 1.
Daaher was beaten soundly for the second consecutive race, this time in the Stymie Handicap March 1 at Aqueduct.
Joe De Francis will shortly resign as a member of the Magna Entertainment Corp. board of directors, according to a published report.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Fast Work Provides Relief for Girvin's Connections
- Thunder Snow Confirmed for Kentucky Derby
- Gormley Puts in Unconventional Final Derby Work
- Trust in Tammy: Fox Taught J Boys Echo His Lessons Well
- Official Veterinary Team From China Visits Kentucky
- Business as Usual for J Boys Echo in Derby Breeze
- War Correspondent Responds in Miami Mile
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- Classic Empire a Pro in Four-Furlong Move