Tiz Elemental, a promising filly whose 3-year-old campaign ended abruptly last spring, returned in style with a late-running victory in the $109,300 Honest Lady Stakes on the Santa Anita main track Feb. 24.
Vengeance of Rain may be retired but there will be no respite for his intended Dubai Sheema Classic opposition, with Viva Pataca's dominating victory in the HK$8 million Citi Hong Kong Gold Cup (2,000m) Feb. 23 proving he's ripe and ready for the world stage.
Juvenile champion War Pass was impressive in his 3-year-old debut Feb. 24 at Gulfstream Park, looking sharp in a one-mile allowance race against four overmatched foes.
Cool Coal Man took over at the top of the stretch and then held off a stubborn Elysium Fields by a half-length to take the $350,000 Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. II) Feb. 24 at Gulfstream Park.
Consignors are busier than usual heading into Fasig-Tipton Calder juvenile sale.
Favored Vermilion, Japan's champion dirt horse last year, dominated the field in his debut for 2008 with a 1 3/4-length win in the February Stakes (Jpn-I) at Tokyo racecourse Feb. 24 before a crowd of 53,029.
- By Ric Chapman
"Get on this, he is unbeatable today," declared trainer Ross McDonald as his powerhouse 3-year-old Weekend Hussler was lining up for a return to racing in the group I, Oakleigh Plate over 5 1/2 furlongs at Caulfield in Australia on Feb 23.
A total of 156 horses were nominated for the $500,000 Lane's End Stakes (gr. II) March 22 at Turfway Park.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Racing's Stars Set for Santa Anita Saturday
- Pinhooking Rookie Scores Big at Keeneland
- Texas Chrome Pointing to Dirt Mile
- Eddie D. Stakes Split Into Divisions
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- Team Block relocating Fort Prado to Indiana
- NBC Will Air Pegasus World Cup
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Amid Gloomy Forecast, Illinois Sets Dates
- Broadcast Honors for Santa Anita, NYRA