The Washington Thoroughbred Breeders Association held its annual winter mixed sale at the Morris J. Alhadeff Sale Pavilion at Emerald Downs Dec. 7.
Upsetter Briecat used her speed to best advantage in Hollywood Park's $150,000 Bayakoa Handicap (gr. II) Dec. 7, turning back a challenge from even-money favorite Model in the homestretch and posting a 2 1/4-length front-running win.
A late change in flight plans played a key role in Joel Rosario connecting for five winners, including a graded stakes win, at Hollywood Park Dec. 6.
The Aga Khan Studs sold the four most expensive horses – including Alpine Rose, who brought 550,000 euros -- during the second session of the Arqana December breeding stock sale in France Dec. 7.
Closing day at Woodbine for the 2008 racing season was abandoned Dec. 7 after the second race due to extreme cold weather. Jockey Patrick Husbands and trainer Mark Casse swept to titles in their respective divisions for the second straight year.
Approximately 450 Hong Kong owners and Hong Kong Jockey Club members turned out at Sha Tin Dec. 7 to witness the Hong Kong International Sale breeze-up (under tack show). Thirty one horses breezed on the turf while the prospective owners, trainers, and guests scrutinized their ability and physique from the grandstands.
Kane Hekili beat back the late charges of favored Vermilion and Meisho Tokon to win the $3 million Japan Cup Dirt (Jpn-I) by a head in the first running of the event at Hanshin Racecourse Dec. 7. American hopes Frost Giant and Tin Cup Chalice finished 12th and 13th, respectively.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Pensioned Top Maryland Sire Not For Love Dies
- Stay Thirsty's First Winner Comes in England
- Second Saratoga Group Sounds Off on NYRA Plan
- Santa Anita Pick 6 Pays Over $1.47 Million
- Ride On Curlin to Florida's Pleasant Acres
- Swipe at Belmont Preparing for His Return
- Purses Enhanced for 2016 Ellis Park Meet
- Stahlbaum Wins Avelino Gomez Award
- Illuminant Upsets Wekeela in Gamely Stakes
- Creator Works, Set for Trip to New York