The Washington Thoroughbred Breeders Association held its annual winter mixed sale at the Morris J. Alhadeff Sale Pavilion at Emerald Downs Dec. 7.
Upsetter Briecat used her speed to best advantage in Hollywood Park's $150,000 Bayakoa Handicap (gr. II) Dec. 7, turning back a challenge from even-money favorite Model in the homestretch and posting a 2 1/4-length front-running win.
A late change in flight plans played a key role in Joel Rosario connecting for five winners, including a graded stakes win, at Hollywood Park Dec. 6.
The Aga Khan Studs sold the four most expensive horses – including Alpine Rose, who brought 550,000 euros -- during the second session of the Arqana December breeding stock sale in France Dec. 7.
Closing day at Woodbine for the 2008 racing season was abandoned Dec. 7 after the second race due to extreme cold weather. Jockey Patrick Husbands and trainer Mark Casse swept to titles in their respective divisions for the second straight year.
Approximately 450 Hong Kong owners and Hong Kong Jockey Club members turned out at Sha Tin Dec. 7 to witness the Hong Kong International Sale breeze-up (under tack show). Thirty one horses breezed on the turf while the prospective owners, trainers, and guests scrutinized their ability and physique from the grandstands.
Kane Hekili beat back the late charges of favored Vermilion and Meisho Tokon to win the $3 million Japan Cup Dirt (Jpn-I) by a head in the first running of the event at Hanshin Racecourse Dec. 7. American hopes Frost Giant and Tin Cup Chalice finished 12th and 13th, respectively.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begin Belmont Training
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park
- Catch A Glimpse Has Homecoming in Nassau
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- Midnight Storm Seeks Grade 1 Dirt Win in Gold Cup
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement
- CHRB Approves Medication Conditions for Breeders' Cup
- Lady Eli Brings Her Class to Gamely
- Humane Society, PETA Support USADA Bill