While a barn in Fair Grounds' stable area remains under a Louisiana State Racing Commission quarantine, horses will again be allowed to ship in and race at the track beginning with the Dec. 31 card.
Two days after being thrown and a day after cosmetic dental surgery, jockey Garrett Gomez was back aboard horses at Santa Anita Dec. 29, winning two races.
The Schenectady (New York) Gazette has selected a book about the Travers Stakes as one of its top 10 books of 2008. The newspaper's annual listing, released Dec, 28, included "The History and Art of 25 Travers" by Vic Zast, a regular contributor to The Blood-Horse and other publications.
Legislation authorizing a pari-mutuel tax break for a racetrack that hosts the Breeders' Cup World Championships has been pre-filed for the 2009 Kentucky General Assembly session.
Dr. A.C. Colando, who trained major winner Uncle Miltie in the early 1950s, died Dec. 27 in South Florida following a short illness.
Grade I winner Into Mischief has been retired from racing for stallion duty at B. Wayne Hughes' Spendthrift Farm near Lexington.
Great Britain's Aintree Racecourse announced Dec. 29 that for the second consecutive year, the purse for the John Smith's Grand National has increased by £100,000 to total £900,000 when the 4 1/2 mile steeplechase is contested April 4, 2009.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Jim Rome Remembers Shared Belief
- Millionaire Grade I Winner Dads Caps Retired
- Del Mar Critics Speak Out at CHRB Meeting
- Runhappy Gets Back to Work at Keeneland
- A Travers Day Christmas Present
- Weak OBS August Sale Fails to Recover
- Full Travers Field Awaits Exaggerator
- Veitch's Suspension Sent Back to KHRC
- Flintshire Looking Strong for Sword Dancer
- Will Exaggerator Be Beaten in the Travers?