Favored Proudinsky, ridden with patience by substitute rider Rafael Bejarano, took command near the eighth pole and held off the outsider Ferneley to win the $150,000 San Gabriel Handicap (gr. IIT) at Santa Anita Park Dec. 28.
In Summation, fourth in the Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I), will be among three grade I winners in a field of five set to contest Santa Anita Park's $100,000 El Conejo Handicap (gr. III) at 5 1/2 furlongs on New Year's Day.
Jockey Garrett Gomez is expected to return to riding on Dec. 29 following a nasty fall on the turf course at Santa Anita Park two days earlier.
Surgery for the brilliant filly Indyanne, who fractured a sesamoid in her left front ankle while leading in the stretch of the La Brea Stakes (gr. I) at Santa Anita Park Dec. 27, has been postponed, trainer Greg Gilchrist said the morning following the accident.
Jockey Donnie Meche sustained apparent injuries when he was thrown from his mount in the first race at Fair Grounds Dec. 28.
Guided to victory on the front end by jockey Katsumi Ando, favored Daiwa Scarlet became the first female winner of the Arima Kinen (Jpn-I) in 37 years before a crowd of 110,000 at Nakayama Race Course in Japan Dec. 28.
A furious Eric Saint-Martin declared Dec. 28 that he is finished in Hong Kong racing after stipendiary stewards slammed him with an improper riding charge and a two-month suspension of his license.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- Making the Grade: Exaggerator's Belmont Shot
- Nine Honored at Walk of Champions Gala
- Woodward, Hancock to Racing Hall of Fame
- Court Order Has Preciado Racing Again at Parx
- Uncle Mo Filly Brings $1 Million at F-T Sale
- NYRA Privatization Bill Filed