Calder Race Course president Ken Dunn expects "a tough race" during the last days before Miami-Dade County's Jan. 29 vote on slot machines for Calder and two other pari-mutuel facilities.
The racing industry in California is split on referendums that would allow Indian tribes to add thousands of slot machines to their casinos.
The 4-year-old El Prado colt stalked the pace and wore down the leader Jan. 27 at Gulfstream Park.
Yankee Bravo duplicated his Eddie Logan Stakes performance, unleashing a strong stretch rally to remain undefeated by winning the $150,000 California Derby on a showery day at Golden Gate Fields Jan. 27.
The 4-year-old colt scores consecutive stakes wins with a victory in the Maxxam Gold Cup Jan. 26 at Sam Houston Race Park.
After getting a break in the weather enabling the Sunshine Millions program to go forward Jan. 26, Santa Anita announced it has canceled its live racing programs for the next two days after more rain hit the track overnight.
Millionaire Strut the Stage's first reported foal arrived Jan. 23 at Frank Maida's Pedigree Farm near Schomberg, Ontario.
The first reported foal by Canadian classic winner Niigon is a filly born Jan. 5 and foaled in Ontario, Canada.
Saeed Bin Suroor will be the new trainer of group II winner Happy Boy, following his purchase by Sheikh Hamdan.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Stormy Lucy Provides Matriarch Stunner
- Del Mar Sees Daily Handle Drop for Fall Meet
- Tonalist Charges to Cigar Mile Victory
- Dressed in Hermes Up Late for DeMille Win
- Melmich Breaks Track Record in Valedictory
- Mr Speaker Retired, Will Stand at Lane's End
- 'All Others' Choice in Pool 1 of KDFW
- Poshsky Rallies to Take Berkeley Handicap
- Steward Tom Ward Works Final Day at Del Mar
- Mohaymen Heads South After Remsen Victory
Most Popular Profiles
Trainer: J. Keith Desormeaux
Owner: Big Chief Racing, LLC
Jockey: Kent J. Desormeaux
Trainer: Art Sherman
Owner: Coburn, Steven and Martin, Perry
Jockey: Victor Espinoza
Trainer: Bob Baffert
Owner: Watson, Karl, Pegram, Michael E. and Weitman, Paul
Jockey: Martin Garcia