Four years removed from making a run at a Triple Crown, even-money choice Funny Cide returned to the winner's circle at Finger Lakes, a track far removed from the majesty of Churchill Downs.
Salute the Sarge surged between horses nearing the eighth pole and defeated Leonides to win Wednesday's $114,900 Hollywood Juvenile Championship (gr. III) by a nose in an upset under leading jockey Michael Baze.
Merriefield Farm's favored Always First, second in his last two starts, fought pacesetter Cloudy's Knight in a long drive to the wire, prevailing in the final stride by a nose in the $200,000 Stars and Stripes Turf Handicap (gr. IIIT), the traditional Fourth of July headliner at Arlington Park.
Jockey Joe Bravo reached a milestone but 3-year-old speedster Idiot Proof provided the fireworks at Monmouth Park on Wednesday, thrilling an Independence Day crowd of 15,791 by smashing a track record.
Freshened by trainer Todd Pletcher since an eighth-place finish in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), Any Given Saturday repelled his rival Nobiz Like Shobiz at the top of the stretch and rolled to a convincing victory in the $147,000 Dwyer (gr. II) for 3-year-olds Wednesday at Belmont Park.
High Finance left the grade I winner Commentator behind in the final furlong to win the $197,500 Tom Fool Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) at Belmont Park Wednesday and register his first stakes victory for trainer Richard Violette Jr.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Mor Spirit Move Pleases Baffert, Stevens
- Creator Turns in Final Kentucky Derby Breeze
- Gun Runner Wraps Up Major Pre-Derby Work
- California Chrome Arrives at Los Alamitos
- Nyquist Top 3YO in Final Pre-Derby NTRA Poll
- Carina Mia Breezes at Churchill Downs
- Hermann Named Golden Gate Announcer
- Asmussen Breezes Four Oaks Hopefuls
- Coil's First Starter Wins in California
- Suddenbreakingnews to Have New Look in Derby