After Market, the 3-5 favorite ridden by Alex Solis, enhanced his reputation as one of America's outstanding horses on grass Sunday with a sparkling victory in the $400,000 Eddie Read Handicap (gr. IT) at Del Mar.
Bill Sorokolit's Sky Conqueror rallied to get the lead a furlong from home, then rolled to 1 1/2-length victory, making it back-to-back wins in the CAN$698,200 Northern Dancer Breeders' Cup Turf (Can-II) Sunday on the Woodbine turf.
Masseuse rallied from just off the pace to capture the CAN$304,900 Dance Smartly Stakes (Can-II) for fillies and mares by a nose at Woodbine Sunday.
Belmont Stakes (gr. I) winner Rags to Riches was pulled up Sunday morning shortly after beginning a five-furlong workout at Belmont Park.
John Messara was elected president of the Thoroughbred Breeders Australia, during a meeting of its board July 20.
Canterbury Park President Randy Sampson announced July 21 that the Canterbury Park Minnesota Fund has pledged $100,000 to the new University of Minnesota Equine Center.
Leading jockey Paul Nolan won his 1,000th career race July 21 aboard Hurricane Bernie in the $45,000 Canterbury Park Lassie Stakes on the same track on which he earned his first career victory in 1990.
At a July 20 meeting of Thoroughbred Breeders Australia Limited, the board elected John Messara as president of the association.
Grade I winner Lido Palace was represented by his first winner July 20.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Exaggerator to Rest at WinStar
- Hill Specialist Ambitious Brew Takes Eddie D.
- Postponed Clear Favorite in Arc de Triomphe
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- Charlton’s Abbotts Retiring on Own Terms
- Tepin Works Half-Mile at Saratoga
- Suffolk Downs Applies for Six 2017 Race Dates
- NYRA Sanctioned for Aqueduct Water Pollution
- New Santa Anita Turf Course Passes First Test