Worldly remains undefeated in three U.S. starts after grabbing the lead nearing the sixteenth pole and keeping even-money favorite Golden Balls at bay with a one-length spread in Saturday's $113,500 Cinema Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Hollywood Park.
Shadwell Stable's reigning Horse-of-the-Year Invasor suffered a career-ending injury to his right hind ankle and has been retired from racing.
Shadwell Stable's Makderah burst to the lead mid-stretch and left her five rivals behind en route to an easy four-length win in the $190,000 New York Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIT) for fillies and mares battling at 10 furlongs on the inner turf course at Belmont Park Saturday.
Edward P. Evans' homebred Pleasant Strike was angled out mid-stretch by jockey Rene Douglas and finished with aplomb to win the $150,000 Arlington Classic (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds going away at Arlington Park on Saturday.
Centaur Farms' homebred Gottcha Gold took command at the start and never looked back as he gamely hung on for a neck victory over 1-10 favorite Lawyer Ron in the $150,000 Salvator Mile (gr. III) at Monmouth Park on Saturday.
Maraahel won the Hardwicke Stakes (Eng-II) at Royal Ascot for the second consecutive year by holding off favored Scorpion by a half-length.
Much of the pre-race attention focused on Australians Miss Andretti and Takeover Target, but it was local hero Soldier's Tale that captured the Golden Jubilee Stakes (Eng-I) on the closing day of Royal Ascot on Saturday.
Leonnatus Anteas, Canada's champion 2-year-old colt in last year and fourth choice in the wagering for Sunday's 148th running of the Queen's Plate at Woodbine, has been scratched.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- Enola Gray Still Unbeaten After Del Mar Romp
- 7-Year-Old Gelding Wins First Start at Ellis
- Blame Angel Wins a Day After Trainer's Death
- Ancient Secret Scores in Lake George
- After 35 Years, Jockey Joe Steiner Retires
- Sweet Loretta Powers to Schuylerville Win
- Songbird Logs First Gallop at Saratoga
- McCarthy, Trainer of General Quarters, Dies
- Songbird Adds Star Power to Sunday's CCA Oaks