Derby winning jockey Calvin Borel and trainer Carl Nafzger are among the celebrity bartenders who will take part in a fundraising event supporting the Backside Learning Center and the Race for Education to be held at the Kentucky Derby Museum next to Churchill Downs following the running of the Stephen Foster Handicap (gr. I) Saturday.
The off-the-pace running style of Barry K. Schwartz's Nothing But Fun should suit her well when she faces five speedier sorts in Sunday's $150,000 Vagrancy Handicap (gr. II) for fillies and mares going 6 1/2 furlongs at Belmont Park.
Awesome Gambler, impressive winner of his last two starts, faces his toughest challenge to date when he aims for his first graded stakes win in Sunday's $100,000 Affirmed Handicap (gr. III) at Hollywood Park.
Penn National Gaming has agreed to be acquired by two private funds for $8.9 billion, the company announced June 15.
- By Claire Novak
An appeal filed by jockey Terry Houghton asking that the Illinois Racing Board lift Arlington Park's current ban against him was unanimously denied June 14 by a 9-0 vote of associates present from the 11-member organization.
Baron Guy de Rothschild, a scion of the great French banking family, died June 12 at age 98.
Sweet Annativo, dam of grade II winner Mister Fotis, died June 13 of colic.
A field of six led by co-high weights Take D' Tour and Teammate will go postward Saturday for Belmont Park's 39th running of the $300,000 Ogden Phipps Handicap (gr. I), but lightweight Ginger Punch may kick in with some extra clout of her own.
Evangeline Downs Racetrack & Casino will hold its first "Cajun Jockey Challenge" the evening of July 13. A brunch to assist the Race Track Chaplaincy of America will be held earlier that day.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Kitasan Black Faces 10 in Takarazuka Kinen
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- The Player to Return on Churchill's Closing Night
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture