Runaway Groom, who beat the year's three U.S. classic winners in the 1982 Travers Stakes (gr. I), was euthanized June 8 at Dr. Tom Simon's Vinery near Lexington because of complications from the infirmities of old age.
Plantation Stud of Newmarket, England, announced Monday that it has acquired the 220-acre Silver Springs Stud near Paris, Ky.
The Belmont Stakes telecast June 9 on ABC, which ended up being a thrilling race with a historic finish thanks to the filly Rags to Riches, nevertheless registered modest ratings numbers that continued a downward trend for the race.
- By Mark Popham
Lisa Hancock, managing director of Newmarket Racecourses in England, unveiled a £10-million redevelopment of the historic July Course June 11, which involved extending the area for racegoers at the back of stands and improving facilities without hopefully changing the unique ambience.
Former New York Racing Association executive Bill Nader missed his first Belmont Stakes (gr. I) in more than a decade. Nader was named executive director of racing at the Hong Kong Jockey Club and relocated to Hong Kong in April.
Champion Vindication's first winner, Galiano, won June 10 at Lone Star Park.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Charlton’s Abbotts Retiring on Own Terms
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- McCarron: Clarification
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- Jockey Gallardo to Try Southern California
- Outwork, Speightster Retire to WinStar
- TOBA October Member of the Month
- Borell Enters Alford Plea on Cruelty Charges
- Santa Anita Installs Barn Surveillance System
- Stopchargingmaria in F-T November Sale