Awelmarduk seized the lead in the final furlong and held on for a half-length victory over the German challenger Shrek for a huge upset in the $963,378 Derby Italiano Antonveneta ABN Amro (Ity-I) at Capannelle Sunday.
Jockey David Flores registered his 3,000th North American win Sunday when his substitute mount Time to Get Even rallied on the outside to catch favored Principle Secret in the final couple of strides and win the $109,700 Lazaro Barrera Memorial (gr. III) by a neck at Hollywood Park.
Manduro emphatically proved he was the class of the field with an authoritative five length victory in the Prix d'Ispahan (Fr-I) at Longchamp on Sunday.
Outsider Bear Now captured Woodbine's CAN$262,800 Selene Stakes (Can-III) for 3-year-old fillies with a track record performance on Sunday.
Sightseeing loves a good fight, but the 3-5 favorite in Sunday's $200,000 Peter Pan Stakes (gr. II) nearly cut it too close when he got up in the final stride to nose 14-1 outsider Prom Shoes at Belmont Park.
Seven horses, including four Sovereign Award winners, lock horns in the Eclipse Stakes (Can-III), one of 10 races on a special holiday Monday program at Woodbine.
Robe Decollete became the first American-bred filly to win the Japanese Oaks (Jpn-II) when the daughter of Cozzene nosed out favored Bella Rheia at Tokyo Racecourse Sunday.
Favorite Worldly outran Silent Soul and Mayor Bozarth through the stretch as jockey Victor Espinoza registered his third Will Rogers Stakes (gr. IIIT) victory in Saturday's one-mile turf race for 3-year-olds at Hollywood Park.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Keeneland to Handle VinMar Dispersal
- BH 100: Rapping at Derby's Door
- Arrogate Blazes to Travers Record
- Infographic: All Time Leading Earners 2016
- PA-Breds, Cathryn Sophia Head Parx Program
- Baffert Reflects on Arrogate's Travers Romp
- Tepin Fires Bullet on Oklahoma Training Track
- Too Much Bling Yearlings Top Texas Sale
- Cavorting to Distaff, Mohaymen Gets Time Off
- Love the Chase to Sell at F-T November