In the final race on the final day of the 2007 autumn Hollywood Park meet, trainer Jerry Hollendorfer won the 5,000th race of his career Dec. 22.
The closest B. Wayne Hughes ever came to owning a Kentucky Derby winner was when his Don't Get Mad finished fourth behind Giacomo in 2005. But when 2-year-old Into Mischief won the $753,000 CashCall Futurity at Hollywood Park on Dec. 22, the colt had Hughes speaking of roses once again.
Under a scintillating ride from Ken Tohill, Good Looker R F sped clear to an impressive two and one-half length victory in the $125,000 La Coneja Handicap at Sunland Park Racetrack and Casino on Saturday.
The inaugural "Santa Sprint Saturday" package at Fair Grounds turned into a two-man show Dec. 22, as trainer Steve Asmussen and jockey Shaun Bridgmohan combined to win all four $100,000 dirt stakes and racked up a whopping six victories on the 10-race card.
A missing decimal point in the industry database used to flag top carryovers will benefit the Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund, Turfway Park president Robert N. Elliston announced Dec. 21.
Trainer Ken Allard speculated that Ask the Moon was a quick filly, but he didn't know exactly how quick.
- By Tracy Gantz
Santa Anita's main track opened for training Dec. 22 after 3 1/2 weeks of drainage renovation work kept the track closed.
Joe Talamo, the leading candidate for this year's outstanding apprentice Eclipse Award, will no longer be represented by agent Ronnie Ebanks.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- Three Chimneys Strikes Early for Orb Colt at $685,000
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Capps' Death is Big Loss to Louisville Equine Program
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Nichols Canyon Connections Pointing for Iroquois Bonus
- Spending Time With New Trainer Kent Sweezey
- Goldikova, Espinoza Among Hall of Fame Inductees