In the final race on the final day of the 2007 autumn Hollywood Park meet, trainer Jerry Hollendorfer won the 5,000th race of his career Dec. 22.
The closest B. Wayne Hughes ever came to owning a Kentucky Derby winner was when his Don't Get Mad finished fourth behind Giacomo in 2005. But when 2-year-old Into Mischief won the $753,000 CashCall Futurity at Hollywood Park on Dec. 22, the colt had Hughes speaking of roses once again.
Under a scintillating ride from Ken Tohill, Good Looker R F sped clear to an impressive two and one-half length victory in the $125,000 La Coneja Handicap at Sunland Park Racetrack and Casino on Saturday.
The inaugural "Santa Sprint Saturday" package at Fair Grounds turned into a two-man show Dec. 22, as trainer Steve Asmussen and jockey Shaun Bridgmohan combined to win all four $100,000 dirt stakes and racked up a whopping six victories on the 10-race card.
A missing decimal point in the industry database used to flag top carryovers will benefit the Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund, Turfway Park president Robert N. Elliston announced Dec. 21.
Trainer Ken Allard speculated that Ask the Moon was a quick filly, but he didn't know exactly how quick.
- By Tracy Gantz
Santa Anita's main track opened for training Dec. 22 after 3 1/2 weeks of drainage renovation work kept the track closed.
Joe Talamo, the leading candidate for this year's outstanding apprentice Eclipse Award, will no longer be represented by agent Ronnie Ebanks.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Curlin Colt Sells for $350,000 at F-T October
- Cinco Charlie to Spendthrift Farm
- Keen Ice Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Tapit Colt Late Withdrawal from F-T Sale
- Arc Winner Found Could Run in BC Classic
- Malibu Moon Filly Sells for $300,000 at F-T
- Inside the Magical Kingdom of Ballydoyle
- Harzand to Aga Khan’s Gilltown Stud
- Positive Start to Fasig-Tipton October Sale