The Tattersalls Ireland December sale wrapped up Dec. 18 when 158 broodmares and foals sold for a gross 887,200 euros (about $1,277,500).
John Morgan, a retired horseman who trained Thoroughbreds for approximately 35 years, died Dec. 16 in Hot Springs, Ark. According to a release from Oaklawn Park, the 76-year-old trainer succumbed to cancer.
Two-time grade III winner Mustanfar suffered a soft tissue injury to his left front ankle and has been retired to Shadwell Farm.
Grade I winner Silver Wagon will enter stud for 2008 at Hurricane Hall near Lexington, it was announced Dec. 18.
Sophia Santos, the daughter of Hall of Fame rider Jose Santos, was indicted Dec. 17 by a Nassau County grand jury on 13 counts stemming from a deadly accident she was involved in while allegedly driving while intoxicated.
HRTV's "Inside Information" features former claimer Bluesthestandard and dual Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. I) champ Lure.
Frank Stronach, who will finish the year as the leading North American breeder and owner by earnings, has retired his grade I-winning filly Citronnade.
- By Dan Liebman
By - Dan Liebman - Compile a list of important issues facing the Thoroughbred industry in 2008 and integrity would surely be included. Well, racing is not alone.
By - Joe Clancy - I never saw anything in racing like McDynamo winning a fifth consecutive Breeders' Cup Grand National Steeplechase (NSA-I) at Far Hills, N.J., Oct. 20.
The interstate shipping of horses in Eastern Australia is just beginning again, four months after an equine influenza outbreak shutdown racing and delayed the breeding season in New South Wales and Queensland. The horses were mostly yearlings entered in the Inglis Melbourne Premier Yearing sale
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Epicharis Earns Japan's Kentucky Derby Bid
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Gold Dream Punches Ticket to BC Classic
- Mo Town Set for 3-Year-Old Debut in Risen Star
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf
- Terra Promessa Goes Gate to Wire in Bayakoa
- Curlin's Approval Stretches Out Handily in Royal Delta