The Tattersalls Ireland December sale wrapped up Dec. 18 when 158 broodmares and foals sold for a gross 887,200 euros (about $1,277,500).
John Morgan, a retired horseman who trained Thoroughbreds for approximately 35 years, died Dec. 16 in Hot Springs, Ark. According to a release from Oaklawn Park, the 76-year-old trainer succumbed to cancer.
Two-time grade III winner Mustanfar suffered a soft tissue injury to his left front ankle and has been retired to Shadwell Farm.
Grade I winner Silver Wagon will enter stud for 2008 at Hurricane Hall near Lexington, it was announced Dec. 18.
Sophia Santos, the daughter of Hall of Fame rider Jose Santos, was indicted Dec. 17 by a Nassau County grand jury on 13 counts stemming from a deadly accident she was involved in while allegedly driving while intoxicated.
HRTV's "Inside Information" features former claimer Bluesthestandard and dual Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. I) champ Lure.
Frank Stronach, who will finish the year as the leading North American breeder and owner by earnings, has retired his grade I-winning filly Citronnade.
- By Dan Liebman
By - Dan Liebman - Compile a list of important issues facing the Thoroughbred industry in 2008 and integrity would surely be included. Well, racing is not alone.
By - Joe Clancy - I never saw anything in racing like McDynamo winning a fifth consecutive Breeders' Cup Grand National Steeplechase (NSA-I) at Far Hills, N.J., Oct. 20.
The interstate shipping of horses in Eastern Australia is just beginning again, four months after an equine influenza outbreak shutdown racing and delayed the breeding season in New South Wales and Queensland. The horses were mostly yearlings entered in the Inglis Melbourne Premier Yearing sale
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Kitasan Black Faces 10 in Takarazuka Kinen
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- The Player to Return on Churchill's Closing Night