Jockey Garrett Gomez won both of the New Year's Day graded stakes at Santa Anita Monday, including a victory aboard Society Hostess in the $116,100 Monrovia Handicap (gr. IIIT).
Ron Crockett's homebred Harvard Avenue finished with a flurry under a perfectly timed move by jockey Garrett Gomez to nose Areyoutalkintome at the wire and give trainer Doug O'Neill the first two finishers of the $110,900 El Conejo Handicap (gr. III) on New Year's Day at Santa Anita Park.
Herman Heinlein's newly turned 3-year-old gelding Soldier's Dancer, sent off as the 3-2 favorite, won his second stakes race over the Calder turf, the $100,000 Tropical Park Derby (gr. IIIT), by three-quarters of a length on New Year's Day.
One & Won Stable's Heart Throbbin' was claimed for $40,000 in September by trainer King Leatherbury. Monday, he paid back his connections in full on the opening day of the 75-day winter meeting when he won the $63,200 Dancing Count Stakes for newly minted three-year-olds at muddy Laurel Park.
Edward P. Evans' favored homebred Christmas Kid won the first stakes race of her four-race career when taking the $100,000 Tropical Park Oaks by a half length over Perfect Motion on Monday at Calder Race Course.
The multifaceted Lava Man, a grade I winner on dirt and turf, could remain on turf after his next start in the $500,000 Sunshine Millions Turf at Santa Anita on Jan. 27.
Thoroughbred Owners of California will host an open forum in Club Plaza at Santa Anita on Jan. 6 beginning at 12:30 p.m.
Shadwell Stable's Jazil, the 2006 Belmont Stakes (gr. I) winner, will make his first start since when he breaks from the outside post in a field of eight in Aqueduct's eighth race on Friday, a $48,000 second-level allowance at 1 1/16 miles.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends
- Derby, Oaks Notes, from Churchill Downs, April 25
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Three Chimneys Strikes Early for Orb Colt at $685,000
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Orb Colt Grew Up, Brought $685,000 at OBS
- OBS April First Session Soars