Fury Stakes winner Gumboots sustained an injury during a workout on Monday morning and is out of Sunday's $500,000 Labatt Woodbine Oaks.
With each failed Triple Crown attempt comes an outcry from racing fans and horsemen that the structure of the Triple Crown needs changing. If it is the horses' safety and longevity that is the impetus for their comments, then no one can take issue with them. If, however, it is based on the fact that we have gone 28 years without a Triple Crown winner and racing desperately needs a horse to finally win all three races, that's a different matter.
The NTRA Charities Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund announced it has disbursed $56,121 to more than 50 former riders who are permanently disabled as a result of injuries sustained while riding at North American racetracks.
While some trainers altered their plans Monday after unexpected overnight rainfall in New York, two Todd Pletcher-trained 3-year-olds completed their final preparations for Saturday's Belmont Stakes (gr. I).
With the death of Sheikh Maktoum in January, the operation of his Gainsborough Stud near Lexington is now falling under the umbrella of Darley, the racing and breeding entity of his brother, Sheikh Mohammed.
The first of three unique all-turf race cards at Meadowlands was cancelled Monday, June 5, due to heavy rain on the east coast.
On Sunday in Queensland, Australia, day one of the biggest Thoroughbred sale in southern hemisphere history began.
Three Chimneys Farm stalwart Rahy has garnered another first with a group I winner in Brisbane, Australia.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- Cuomo Proposes Returning NYRA to Private Control
- Cautious Giant Brings Top Price at Barretts Mixed Sale
- Stronach Still Seeking New Heights for Racing
- Bayern's First Foal, a Filly, Arrives in Ontario
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Jockey Olguin Secures Milestone Win
- Stonestreet to Sponsor Lexington Stakes, Purse Boosted
- The Curse of Haskin