Lawyer Ron has a slight ankle injury and is unlikely to challenge Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro in the Preakness, trainer Bob Holthus announced Tuesday at Churchill Downs.
- By Ray Paulick
By Ray Paulick - If Barbaro can safely pass his next test, in the 131st running of the Preakness May 20, Matz' strategy will have worked to perfection. It will then be up to Barbaro to prove his place in the annals of the Turf come Belmont day.
- By Dan Liebman
By Dan Liebman - Nathan Fox is looking for the next Karen and Mickey Taylor. He has a beautiful new seven-stall stallion barn and office to show them. But will he ever find them? He is optimistic. He is also realistic.
Baron de Vaux, who ran third in the 1990 Belmont Stakes (gr. I), has been purchased by Brian Wallis and will stand at Wallis' Dormello II Stud near Decatur, Texas.
- By Tom Precious
New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer, the frontrunner in the New York governor's race, said he wants the franchise to run Thoroughbred racing in the state to be awarded sooner than later, and indicated the decision doesn't have to wait until the next governor takes over in 2007.
TV Games Network set a one-day handle record of $7,555,958 Kentucky Derby day, May 6. The amount was up 18% from Derby day in 2005.
Yum! Brands, the new presenting sponsor of the grade I Kentucky Derby, said it gained almost $2.7 million in "total comparable exposure value" on air during the May 6 broadcast of the event.
Youbet.com, the online wagering company with headquarters in Southern California, handled $5.6 million Kentucky Derby day, May 6, an increase of 34% from 2005 and the highest one-day amount in the history of the company.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- Centeno Recovering in Florida After Spill
- Making the Grade: Exaggerator's Belmont Shot
- Woodward, Hancock to Racing Hall of Fame
- Court Order Has Preciado Racing Again at Parx
- Nine Honored at Walk of Champions Gala