The prohibitive favorite Surf Cat, ridden patiently by Alex Solis, rolled over his four rivals with an impressive burst in the stretch to take the $128,000 Potrero Grande Breeder's Cup Handicap (gr. II) by more than two lengths at Santa Anita Sunday.
The stars were out in full force Sunday morning, as many of the leading Derby contenders tuned up for next Saturday's grade I Santa Anita Derby and Wood Memorial.
Former California-bred 3-year-old champion Calkins Road has been retired and will stand stud at Rocking Horse Ranch in Santa Ynez, Calif.
Preachinatthebar, a Triple Crown hopeful for trainer Bob Baffert and owner/breeder Mike Pegram two years ago before being sidelined by knee problems, won his first graded stakes race since the 2004 San Felipe Stakes (gr. II) on Saturday when victorious in Santa Anita's $110,600 Tokyo City Cup (gr. III).
With only three racing days left in the Turfway Park meet, the connections of the top Thoroughbred in North America by victories are deciding what to do with the gelding, a former stakes competitor who won his sixth race of the year April 1.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Uncontested to Skip Rebel Stakes
- El Areeb Confirmed to Start in Gotham Stakes
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- Mo Town, Guest Suite Set for Risen Star Showdown
- Mind Your Biscuits Set for Gulfstream Park Sprint
- International Star Could Add to Fair Grounds Success
- Grade 1 Haskell Headlines Monmouth Stakes Schedule