Santa Catalina (gr. II) winner Brother Derek shot to favoritism at 10-1 among individual horses as Pool 2 of the 2006 Kentucky Derby Future Wager closed on Sunday. But the field entry of all 3-year-olds not listed in the pool was a solid overall choice of bettors at odds of 3-1.
Favored Harriett Lane rallied five wide coming across the dirt and overtook pacesetter Bettarun Fast in mid-stretch to win the $109,450 La Habra for 3-year-old fillies on the Santa Anita hillside turf course Sunday.
Last at the three-eighths pole, 18-1 outsider Miraculous Miss blew past her nine rivals in the stretch to win Sunday's $150,000 Stonerside Forward Gal (gr. II) for 3-year-old fillies going away at Gulfstream Park.
Joseph Allen's homebred Teammate finished 14 lengths behind Wait a While on a sloppy sealed Gulfstream Park one month ago. But given a fast track Sunday in the $150,000 Bonnie Miss (gr. II) for 3-year-old fillies, it was a different story.
Brother Derek came out of his victory in Saturday's Santa Catalina Stakes (gr. II) at Santa Anita Park with a minor scrape but trainer Dan Hendricks said it won't impede his schedule en route to the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) April 8.
Chad Murphy earned his 2,000th career riding win Friday night when he drove Gun to victory in the fourth race at Mountaineer Park.
Trainer Janet Davidson earned her first career win Friday night at Turfway Park when 51-1 shot Walleye Joe broke his maiden in the fourth race, a six-furlong event for maiden claiming horses.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Brothers in Arms: Idaho Takes Hardwicke Stakes
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- Kentucky Derby Starters Reunite in Ohio Derby
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner