Michael Tabor and Derrick Smith's 4-year-old Bandini was nominated to Saturday's $200,000 Richter Scale Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. II), but trainer Todd Pletcher will let the talented colt get his season started in a one-mile allowance/optional feature Wednesday at Gulfstream Park instead.
Winless in his three previous starts, Southern California invader Indy Wildcat surprised the field with an all-out effort to win the $100,000 Borderland Derby for 3-year-olds at Sunland Park.
Gary Tanaka's Irish-bred Atlando swept past entry mate King's Drama in mid-stretch, then held off the late surge of T.H. Approval to win the San Luis Obispo Handicap (gr. IIT) in stakes record-tying time on the Santa Anita Park lawn Sunday.
A Tiznow colt redeemed himself in a very big way, blazing a quarter mile in :20 3/5 Sunday at Calder Race Course.
Veteran harness racing official Walter R. Bonafice, 74, died at his Vernon, NY, home on Feb. 24 following a lengthy illness.
The immediate racing future of Silent Witness will be decided in the coming days after the world's leading sprinter last year finished seventh behind winner Scintillation at Sha Tin on Sunday.
It was Snitzel [schnitzel] with the works in Melbourne Feb. 26, his win in the 122nd Oakleigh Plate (Aust-I) completing a double for his white-hot Danehill sire Redoute's Choice.
More than 40 stallion seasons will be auctioned Monday, Feb. 27 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST) during the first New York Stallion Season Telephone Auction. The proceeds of the auction will benefit the New York Thoroughbred Breeders' Political Action Committee.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Casse Mulls Derby Path for Classic Empire
- Lukas Drops by to See Old Friend Charismatic
- Sherman Accepts Big Sport of Turfdom Award
- BloodHorse, Weatherbys Launch Stallions App
- Keeneland Catalogs 1,892 for January Sale
- Jockey Club Opposes Multiple Violator Changes
- Lemon Drop Kid an Emerging Broodmare Sire
- Symposium Documents Racing's Racino Problem
- Rockridge's Posse Will Not Return to U.S.
- Sunbean Seeks Third Louisiana Classic Win