Original Spin, winner of the Arlington Washington Lassie (gr. III) and third-place finisher in the Alberto VO5 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I) as a 2-year-old, edged Fort Prado for Illinois-bred Horse of the Year honors in 2005.
Trainer Bob Baffert moved a step closer to his Santa Anita record for stakes victories Saturday when overwhelming favorite Behaving Badly cruised home in the $107,000 Las Flores Handicap (gr. III) over five overmatched fillies and mares.
Fitzhugh LLC's Sticky appeared to be beaten at the top of the lane, but she found another gear in deep stretch to win Saturday's $85,000 Maryland Racing Media Handicap for fillies and mares by a half-length at Laurel Park.
Graded stakes winner Fort Prado came from far back to tally a two-length victory in the $125,000 Tampa Bay Breeder's Cup on the turf at Tampa Bay Downs Saturday.
Trainer Bernard Flint joined an elite group Saturday when More Than Pretty won the 11th race at Oaklawn Park to give the trainer his 3,000th career victory.
The grade II Santa Catalina Stakes, to be run March 4 at Santa Anita Park, will be renamed to honor the memory of the late owner/breeder Robert Lewis beginning in 2007, track president Ron Charles announced Saturday.
Prohibitive favorite Lawyer Ron overcame some early eagerness to record a gate-to-wire win in the $250,000 Southwest Stakes for 3-year-olds at Oaklawn Park for his fourth straight victory Saturday.
The Brazilian-bred Einstein, given a clever front-running ride by Rafael Bejarano, held off Go Deputy in the stretch to win the $190,000 Gulfstream Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) by a neck in his stakes debut Saturday in South Florida.
The Delaware Thoroughbred Racing Commission endorsed a plan Friday to implement testing for the presence of alkalizing agents - or "milkshakes" - in racehorses during the 2006 Delaware Park season.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Capps' Death is Big Loss to Louisville Equine Program
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Nichols Canyon Connections Pointing for Iroquois Bonus
- Spending Time With New Trainer Kent Sweezey
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Goldikova, Espinoza Among Hall of Fame Inductees
- Reach the World Euthanized After Training Injury