Giacomo, the 2005 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner, makes his first start in seven months when he faces a full field in Saturday's $300,000 Strub Stakes (gr. I) for 4-year-olds at Santa Anita Park.
Elisabeth Alexander's 4-year-old Magna Graduate and Jay Em Ess Stable's 5-year-old Suave will be among the choices in the field of nine entered for Saturday's $500,000, 1 1/8-mile Donn Handicap (gr. I). They finished one-two in the Clark Handicap (gr. II) at Churchill Downs Nov. 25, with Magna Graduate taking the nod by a head.
Barbaro means "barbarian" in Portugese. When one does something superior, that is called "barbaro" as well. Each usage may well describe Barbaro when all is said and done, and he is our pick to win the grade III Holy Bull Stakes.
State veterinarian Robert Stout rescinded the quarantine order on Barn 27 at Turfway Park, the last order in place following an outbreak of equine herpesvirus (EHV-1) at the track. The release signals the end of all quarantine restrictions at Turfway.
Equibase, the North American Thoroughbred industry's official database for racing information, announced Feb. 2 that it has recalibrated the scale of its Equibase Speed Figure, a numerical assessment of the quality of a horse's final time in a North American Thoroughbred race.
- By Tom LaMarra
West Virginia lawmakers are considering two bills--one that would prohibit account wagering, and another that would authorize county referendums on the addition of casino-style games at Thoroughbred and Greyhound racetracks.
The first foal by graded stakes winner Cashel Castle is a colt born Jan. 29 out of the winning End Sweep mare Persnickity Gal.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Casse Mulls Derby Path for Classic Empire
- Lukas Drops by to See Old Friend Charismatic
- Sherman Accepts Big Sport of Turfdom Award
- BloodHorse, Weatherbys Launch Stallions App
- Keeneland Catalogs 1,892 for January Sale
- Jockey Club Opposes Multiple Violator Changes
- Lemon Drop Kid an Emerging Broodmare Sire
- Symposium Documents Racing's Racino Problem
- Rockridge's Posse Will Not Return to U.S.
- Sunbean Seeks Third Louisiana Classic Win