Russell Baze became Thoroughbred horse racing's winningest jockey when he broke Laffit Pincay Jr.'s record with a victory aboard Butterfly Belle at Bay Meadows on Friday, Dec. 1.
Richard C. Thompson's Irish-bred gelding Ballast won the $100,000 Tropical Turf Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Calder Saturday, in the last of four stakes races on the track's "Grand Slam I" program.
Longshot Sailors Sunset left four rivals in the dark as he sped to a front-running victory over crack sprinter Siren Lure and 2004 juvenile champion Declan's Moon in a stakes record time of 1:07.79 for six furlongs in the $100,000 Vernon O. Underwood (gr. III) on Cushion track at Hollywood Park Saturday.
- By Claire Novak
Retired Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens announced his decision to sever ties with the Southern California-based Little Red Feather Racing syndicate Dec. 2, but both parties declined to make a statement regarding reasons for the split.
Stronach Stables' 5-year-old French-bred mare Amorama came from off the pace to win the $100,000 My Charmer Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Calder Race Course on Saturday, as part of the track's "Grand Slam I" day.
Friday evening's Thoroughbred Charities of America Stallion Season and Art Auction was the most successful and perhaps most unique in the 17 year history of the event.
Raymond H. Cottrell Sr.'s Birdbirdstheword overcame a troubled start and held off a late charge from Pirates Deputy for a three-quarter length victory in the $1 million Boyd Gaming's Delta Jackpot (gr. III) at Louisiana's Delta Downs on Friday, Dec. 1.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Late Rally Lifts Dacita to Victory in Diana
- Exaggerator Questionable for Jim Dandy
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- Bitumen Rallies to Sanford Score
- Enola Gray Still Unbeaten After Del Mar Romp
- Fair Eva First Stakes Winner for Frankel
- 7-Year-Old Gelding Wins First Start at Ellis
- Blame Angel Wins a Day After Trainer's Death
- Highland Reel Leads Every Step in King George