Russell Baze became Thoroughbred horse racing's winningest jockey when he broke Laffit Pincay Jr.'s record with a victory aboard Butterfly Belle at Bay Meadows on Friday, Dec. 1.
Richard C. Thompson's Irish-bred gelding Ballast won the $100,000 Tropical Turf Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Calder Saturday, in the last of four stakes races on the track's "Grand Slam I" program.
Longshot Sailors Sunset left four rivals in the dark as he sped to a front-running victory over crack sprinter Siren Lure and 2004 juvenile champion Declan's Moon in a stakes record time of 1:07.79 for six furlongs in the $100,000 Vernon O. Underwood (gr. III) on Cushion track at Hollywood Park Saturday.
- By Claire Novak
Retired Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens announced his decision to sever ties with the Southern California-based Little Red Feather Racing syndicate Dec. 2, but both parties declined to make a statement regarding reasons for the split.
Stronach Stables' 5-year-old French-bred mare Amorama came from off the pace to win the $100,000 My Charmer Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Calder Race Course on Saturday, as part of the track's "Grand Slam I" day.
Friday evening's Thoroughbred Charities of America Stallion Season and Art Auction was the most successful and perhaps most unique in the 17 year history of the event.
Raymond H. Cottrell Sr.'s Birdbirdstheword overcame a troubled start and held off a late charge from Pirates Deputy for a three-quarter length victory in the $1 million Boyd Gaming's Delta Jackpot (gr. III) at Louisiana's Delta Downs on Friday, Dec. 1.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- California Chrome 'Stronger' in Los Al Drill
- Royal Ascot Journey Confirmed for Tepin
- Enola Gray Passes Two-Turn Test in Melair
- Diva Express, I'm a Looker Dead Heat at CD
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Exaggerator Carries Delta Jackpot Flag
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Kentucky Suspends Umarov for 10 Years
- First U.S. Winner for Algorithms