Favored Fast Parade rallied from just off the pace to win Sunday's $500,000 Nearctic Stakes (Can-II) for turf sprinters at Woodbine.
Globetrotting Collier Hill, under sure handling from jockey Dean McKeown, won a desperate drive to the wire by a nose over Go Deputy to spring an upset in Sunday's $2 million (Canadian) Pattison Canadian International (Can-I) on the Woodbine grass course.
Favored Louve Royale, equipped with earplugs to help her relax, prevailed in the $150,000 Rood and Riddle Dowager Stakes Sunday on the Keeneland lawn after a prolonged rally.
Woodbine-based Arravale burst through along the rail to capture her second grade I event of 2006, taking Sunday's $1 million (Canadian) E.P. Taylor Stakes for fillies and mares at Woodbine.
Sheikh Hamdan gained another major Australian success when his Kingmambo son, Tawqeet, triumphed in a dramatic Caulfield Cup (Aus-I) Oct 21.
Praying for Cash, a graded stakes winner for Bobby Hurley's Devil Eleven Stable, has been retired from racing for stallion duty.
Valid Notebook owns an edge in the $100,000-added Discovery Handicap (gr. III) when Aqueduct opens its 45-day fall meeting Wednesday - if for no other reason than the fact that he won't be facing Discreet Cat.
Montare completed a weekend Group 1 double for her sire, Montjeu, when she captured the Prix Royal-Oak (Fr-I) at Longchamp on Sunday.
Working 14 horses in one morning is a major load for any trainer, but Todd Pletcher took that to another level Sunday when he put 14 Breeders' Cup horses through their paces with most of them turning in almost identical drills with machine-like precision.
Freshman sire Thunderello, runner-up in the 2002 Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I), will stand in 2007 at Johnny Jones III and Robert Trussell's Walmac Farm for $5,000.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 2 Winner Iliad Retired
- Irish War Cry Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Another Big Finish for McCraken in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Practical Joke Rewards Breeders' Faith in His Dam
- Thunder Snow Enters Quarantine at Churchill Downs
- Horseman Mike Johnson Knows a Good One in McCraken
- Wilkes Continues to Do Nafzger Proud
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Derby Museum to Become Home for Lukas Collection