The Irish-bred outsider Silver Cup overtook Ticker Tape in the final strides to win the $150,000 San Gorgonio Handicap (gr. IIT) for fillies and mares on the Santa Anita Park lawn Sunday.
With a late burst, Honor in War got up in time to win the $75,000 Ft. Lauderdale on the Gulfstream Park turf Sunday, enabling jockey Shaun Bridgmohan to complete a sweep of the four stakes held at the South Florida track on its 2006 opening weekend.
Spritely Walker snapped a 22-month drought by capturing the $79,650 Dixie Poker Ace Sunday at the Fair Grounds meet at Harrah's Louisiana Downs.
Alberto VO5 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I) champion Folklore is ready to make her 3-year-old debut at Santa Anita Park in the Santa Ynez Stakes (gr. II) at seven furlongs on Jan. 16, Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
Trainer Doug O'Neill has mapped out a program that would keep Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) winner Stevie Wonderboy in Southern California until the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) on May 6.
Jay Em Ess Stable's 5-year-old Suave, among the nation's top older horses in 2005, breezed five furlongs in 1:01 3/5 at Gulfstream Park Sunday in preparation for the Feb. 4 Donn Handicap (gr. I).
- By Tom LaMarra
A second barn at Turfway Park has been quarantined because of equine herpesvirus, which was first discovered at the Northern Kentucky racetrack the week before Christmas.
Trainer Jerry Hollendorfer won his seventh consecutive Northern California stakes race Saturday at Bay Meadow when Heavenly Humor successfully defended her title in the $64,600 Soviet Problem Handicap.
The Breeders' Cup 48-member board on Sunday adopted a new set of by-laws and elected a new, streamlined 13-member board of directors.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Brings Baffert Back to World Cup
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Dubai World Cup Night
- Owner-Breeder Bertram Klein Dies
- Litfin at Large: Getting Handle on Dubai World Cup Card
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Zulu Seeks Skip Away Rebound
- Different Paths, Futures for Two Spiral Contenders
- Mind Your Biscuits Could Give Summers First Win
- Arnold Believes Spiral is Good Spot for Convict Pike
- El Areeb Works at Laurel Toward Wood Memorial