Bowman's Band's first foal is a chestnut filly out of the Thirty Eight Paces mare Mrs. Bellerby foaled at Shamrock Farm in Maryland and owned by farm manager Jim Steele. The filly was born on Jan. 20.
Edmund Gann's Major Success, battling between horses under Tyler Baze throughout the final furlong, outlasted his rivals by a neck to make his stakes debut a winning one for trainer Bobby Frankel in the $150,000 Palos Verdes Handicap (gr. II) at Santa Anita Park Saturday.
McCarty Racing's 3-2 favorite Flame Of Love romped to a 10 1/2-length victory over her eight filly and mare rivals to win the $85,000 What A Summer Stakes Saturday at Laurel Park.
Susan and John Moore's Smokey Glacken collared favorite Trickle of Gold near the quarter pole and drew away in the stretch to capture Saturday's $100,000 First Lady Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares by 4 1/4 lengths at Gulfstream Park.
Team Block's always-tough Fort Prado ran closer to the pacesetter Onthedeanslist this time around and registered a neck victory over his rival in the $189,800 Fair Grounds Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Harrah's Louisiana Downs turf Saturday.
Phipps Stables' homebred Happy Hunting won his first stakes try Saturday as the favorite against a group of veteran campaigners in the $110,000 Aqueduct Handicap (gr. III).
New York Racing Association attendance and handle figures suffered drops in 2005 as compared to the previous year.
In the wake of a horse being diagnosed with equine herpesvirus (EHV-1) at Penn National Race Course on Friday, Philadelphia Park has banned shippers from that oval, effective immediately. Shippers from Maryland, including the Bowie Training Center, are also prohibited.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 1 Winner, Sire Devil His Due Dies at 28
- Desormeaux Switches Agents to Arroyo
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Into Mischief Filly Tops Early at Midlantic Sale
- Hips to Watch: Day 2 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Speedy Smart Strike Filly Brings $525,000
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Smart Strike Filly Leads the Way at Midlantic Sale
- Agent Ryan Not Surprised by Cloud Computing's Win