Bob and Beverly Lewis' With Distinction prevailed in a driving three-horse finish and survived a jockey's claim of foul to emerge victorious in Monday's grade III, $112,100 El Conejo Handicap at Santa Anita.
Fueled by an increase in purses to begin the meet and the fullest fields in Illinois, Hawthorne posted an increase in total handle on live racing during the 2005 fall Thoroughbred meet.
Jockey Jorge Chavez was taken to Memorial Regional Hospital in Hollywood, Fla. after falling off his horse, Sweet Zeena, in the 12th and final race at Calder on Monday, the final day of the 2005-2006 Tropical at Calder season.
Darley Stable's homebred Silvestri avenged a loss in the Randeroo Handicap by rolling to a front-running victory in the $65,000 Ruthless Stakes, Monday's holiday feature at Aqueduct that drew 3,716 fans.
The Kentucky State Veterinarian's Office announced Dec. 30 that while 11 horses from Turfway Park's Barn 26 that previously tested positive for equine herpesvirus now test negative, five horses still tested positive, and they quarantined seven horses in the outrider's barn.
Turfway Park closed its 2005 holiday meet Dec. 31 with increases in virtually every category over the same period in 2004, most of them double-digit improvements.
Doncaster Bloodstock Sales, Britain's second biggest bloodstock auctioneer, is likely to remain selling in the Yorkshire town of Doncaster rather than relocate to either nearby York or the South of
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- First Foal by Fast Anna Born in New York
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- End of Fair Grounds Quarantine Appears to be on Horizon
- Remains of Glacial Princess to be Moved to Old Friends
- Keeneland Announces Spring Meet Stakes Schedule
- Japan Gets a NY Filly as His First Foal
- The Big Beast Gets a Florida-Bred Colt as First Foal
- Spendthrift Juvenile Stallion Stakes to Add Filly Race
- Texas Chrome Named Texas Horse of the Year
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al