Owner Bear Stables Ltd. notched its second juvenile stakes victory in as many weekends at Woodbine on Sunday when Bear Character upset in the $132,750 Swynford Stakes at seven furlongs.
Monmouth Park closed out its 2005 season Sunday reporting a decline in wagering from last year while attendance remained stable.
Delta Downs Racetrack & Casino and several other gaming facilities in southwest Louisiana were shuttered as Hurricane Rita made landfall near the Texas-Louisiana border the morning of Sept. 24.
Gonbarda overcame some bad behavior at the starting gate to win the IVG-Preis von Europa (Ger-I) at Cologne on Sunday. The 3-year-old filly broke through the starting stalls twice, but was quickly caught and reloaded each time.
The penultimate session of the 2005 Keeneland September yearling sale ended Sunday with both average prices and the total gross down slightly --while the median stayed the same and the buyback rate improved-- from last year's figures for the same day.
Jockey Robert King, Jr., who was injured in a walking ring incident at Woodbine on Sept. 21, will be sidelined for the remainder of the 2005 campaign after being diagnosed with a lacerated liver.
Mr Celebrity thrust himself into the spring spotlight in winning the George Main Stakes (Aust-I) at Randwick Sept. 24.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Copper Bullet Out to Build Reputation in Bashford Manor
- New York Discusses Race-Day Lasix Rules
- Fager to Deliver Thoroughbred Owner Conference Keynote
- Hill 'n' Dale Acquires Half Interest in Bubbler
- Conrad Bandoroff Joins Denali Stud
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- Ward Pleased With Stable's Royal Ascot Performance
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- F-T Saratoga Offering 12 From Scat Daddy's Last Crop