Retired jockey Donald Lee West, 74, died Sept. 4 in Apollo Beach, Fla.
Top-priced horses ($1 million or more) during session 1 of the Keeneland September yearling sale.
Fast Play, who has sired 36 horses that have won or placed in stakes, will stand in 2006 at Liberty Stud near Ghent, N.Y.
The marathon Keeneland September yearling sale got a quick start out of the gate Monday with a strong session in which the gross, average, and median prices were well above figures for the comparable session one year ago.
Ghostzapper, last year's Horse of the Year after winning the Breeders' Cup Classic – Powered by Dodge (gr. I) in track-record time, will begin his stallion career for a fee of $200,000 at Frank Stronach's Adena Springs Farm near Midway, Ky.
As with Australia's previous racing season, the one numbered 2005-6 led off with Spark Of Life winning the Manikato Stakes (Aust-I) at Melbourne's Moonee Valley Sept. 10.
Makybe Diva failed by a nose in her second race as reigning Australian Horse of the Year, finishing second in the John F. Feehan Stakes (Aust-II) at Moonee Valley Sept. 10.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- Arrogate Begins Del Mar Journey in San Diego Handicap
- Remembering Ben's Cat
- Look Back: Shuvee Completes a Filly Triple Crown
- Leatherbury, Maryland Racing Mourn Ben's Cat
- Dickinson, Lady Eli to Meet Again in Diana
- Ky. HBPA Teams with Ellis for 'College Day'
- Biancone Moves Closer to Kentucky Reinstatement
- Direct Dial, Admiral Jimmy Vie Again in Sanford
- Ana O'Brien Sidelined Until November