Retired jockey Donald Lee West, 74, died Sept. 4 in Apollo Beach, Fla.
Top-priced horses ($1 million or more) during session 1 of the Keeneland September yearling sale.
Fast Play, who has sired 36 horses that have won or placed in stakes, will stand in 2006 at Liberty Stud near Ghent, N.Y.
The marathon Keeneland September yearling sale got a quick start out of the gate Monday with a strong session in which the gross, average, and median prices were well above figures for the comparable session one year ago.
Ghostzapper, last year's Horse of the Year after winning the Breeders' Cup Classic – Powered by Dodge (gr. I) in track-record time, will begin his stallion career for a fee of $200,000 at Frank Stronach's Adena Springs Farm near Midway, Ky.
As with Australia's previous racing season, the one numbered 2005-6 led off with Spark Of Life winning the Manikato Stakes (Aust-I) at Melbourne's Moonee Valley Sept. 10.
Makybe Diva failed by a nose in her second race as reigning Australian Horse of the Year, finishing second in the John F. Feehan Stakes (Aust-II) at Moonee Valley Sept. 10.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- WinStar Farm Sets 2017 Stud Fees
- California Chrome Powerful Late in BC Drill
- China Horse Club Buys into California Chrome
- Lightstream Rallies to Win Raven Run
- Admirals War Chest Repeats MD Million Classic
- Winx Easily Wins Second Straight Cox Plate
- Royal Posse Sails Clear in Empire Classic
- Hoppertunity, Melatonin Breeze for Classic
- Nobiz Like Shobiz Settling in at Old Friends