A New York-bred daughter of Orientate sold for $130,000 Monday to top the opening session of the Fasig-Tipton Texas yearling auction at Lone Star Park. Texan Terry Blanton signed the ticket for the strapping dark bay filly.
Afleet Alex, the Preakness (gr. I) and Belmont Stakes (gr. I) winner, will pay a visit to Saratoga Race Course on Saturday afternoon, parading on the main track after the second race.
The top three prospects for the Sept. 5 grade II, $400,000 Del Mar Derby put in their final preparations for the race by working at the seaside track Monday.
Australian sensation Alinghi, making her North American debut, put in a game stretch run Monday afternoon to win the 17th running of the grade III, $216,300 Ballston Spa Breeders' Cup Handicap for fillies and mares at 1 1/16 miles at Saratoga.
Trainer Barclay Tagg worked 2003 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) and Preakness (gr. I) winner Funny Cide for the first time in 22 days Monday morning.
Led by A. P. Smithwick winner Paradise's Boss, nine jumpers are entered for Wednesday's $150,000 New York Turf Writers Cup Steeplechase at Saratoga. The race has grade I designation from the National Steeplechase Association.
Hall of Fame rider Gary Stevens has taken off his mounts this week after aggravating a minor tailbone injury incurred in a post parade spill at Saratoga last Wednesday.
Just 25 days after being crowned Australian Horse of the Year, Makybe Diva racked up more firsts with a winning return to the track at Melbourne's Caulfield Aug. 28.
Lady Tak, a millionaire and multiple grade I winner, has been retired from racing with a record of 10 wins from 19 starts.
- By Scott Davis
For the fourth time in less than a year, a hurricane has disrupted Calder Race Course's racing schedule and track president Ken Dunn says he has seen enough.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Irish War Cry Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Thunder Snow Confirmed for Kentucky Derby
- Fast Work Provides Relief for Girvin's Connections
- Trust in Tammy: Fox Taught J Boys Echo His Lessons Well
- Gormley Puts in Unconventional Final Derby Work
- McErin, Five Fillies Take on Kentucky Juvenile Stakes
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- War Correspondent Responds in Miami Mile