The Fasig-Tipton New York-bred yearling sale ended its two-night run Monday in Saratoga Springs with a healthy increase in its median price that pushed the figure to its highest level ever. But there were declines in gross revenue and average price from last year's sale records.
Borrego, multiple graded-stakes performer and runner-up to Lava Man in the Hollywood Gold Cup (gr. I), wound up his preparations for Sunday's $1-million, grade I Pacific Classic with a solid five furlong work in 1:01.40 at Santa Anita.
- By Ron Mitchell
A committee established by Kentucky Gov. Ernie Fletcher to come up with a recommendation on jockey insurance met again Monday and discussed various options but could not come to any definitive agreement on a final proposal.
- By Ron Mitchell
The Kentucky Horse Racing Authority voted unanimously Aug. 15 to implement stiff medication rules and penalties that closely parallel rules adopted by the national Racing Medication and Testing Consortium.
Hawthorne Race Course in Chicago announced an across-the-board purse increase for its meeting that will run Sept. 23 through Dec. 31.
Peachtree Stable's India, who broke her maiden by 12 lengths in her second career start, has been sold to her breeders, Frank and Jane Lyon, owner of Summer Wind Farm near Georgetown, Ky., Peachtree owner John Fort said today.
Proud Accolade, who won the Champagne Stakes (gr. I) last year at two and the Hutcheson Stakes (gr. II) earlier this year, has been retired and will stand in 2006 at Satish Sanan's Padua Stables near Summerfield, Fla.
Foster L. "Pete" Maloy, who raised 2005 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) winner Buzzards Bay at his Hidden Hill Farm near Ocala, Fla., was shot and killed Aug. 12 by an enraged motorist at a road construction site under Maloy's supervision.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Dream It Is The Real Deal in Schuylerville
- Classic Empire to Resume Galloping
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- Sanford Adds Another Chapter to Rich History Saturday
- CHRB Discusses Cutting Back Racing Dates
- As Arrogate's Stature Builds, So Do Expectations
- Proctor's Ledge Makes Splash in Lake George
- Litfin: No Going Against Arrogate in San Diego
- Saratoga Opening Day Sees Handle Increase
- Arrogate Begins Del Mar Journey in San Diego Handicap